starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why do Crossfitters use High-Bar Squats?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by jcockerham View Post
    Let me be clear. I agree with low-bar squat after reading the blue book and seeing it's benefits in my own training.

Where I'm "stuck" so to speak is Crossfit's emphasis on a high bar squat. In the blue book Rip indicates that he believes the low-bar actually translates to Olympic lifts. Crossfitters claim the opposite. I can see one making the argument that high bar squats are easier to program in a Crossfit class, but I'm mostly talking about competitive Crossfitters. They don't (as Rip pointed out early on) generally do Crossfit programming. I fail to see why these people, with around the clock coaching, would adopt a high bar squat if it did not translate to improved performance in their competitions. Is it simply dogma? Or does the high bar squat translate to human movement patterns more optimally? If it does not - could one utilize the low-bar squat to train a competitive Crossfit athlete as a sort of cheat code?

Also to be fair - I'm asking these questions because I'm wondering about the commercial application of SS principles. I asked a similar question recently regarding sports performance. If the answer is that low bar squatting translates better to the competitive Crossfitter's application than their high bar squat (which is utilized in the video linked below) doesn't it make sense from a commercial standpoint to say so? For example - let's assume that I can somehow through hard work and diligence and dedication and good luck be accepted as an SS coach - are individuals who want to compete at something like Crossfit people I should turn down?

CrossFit TOTALS - 2020 CrossFit Games Finals (Back Squat, Shoulder Press and Deadlift) - YouTube
    Why don't Olympic lifters train low bar squats? Hell, why don't a lot of powerlifters use low bar squats? Maybe they just don't know any better. Watching the crossfit video, I suspect that most if not all of them would benefit from training and using low bar squats. Also, why are their presses so low?

Quote Originally Posted by jcockerham View Post
    Let me be clear. I agree with low-bar squat after reading the blue book and seeing it's benefits in my own training.

Where I'm "stuck" so to speak is Crossfit's emphasis on a high bar squat. In the blue book Rip indicates that he believes the low-bar actually translates to Olympic lifts. Crossfitters claim the opposite. I can see one making the argument that high bar squats are easier to program in a Crossfit class, but I'm mostly talking about competitive Crossfitters. They don't (as Rip pointed out early on) generally do Crossfit programming. I fail to see why these people, with around the clock coaching, would adopt a high bar squat if it did not translate to improved performance in their competitions. Is it simply dogma? Or does the high bar squat translate to human movement patterns more optimally? If it does not - could one utilize the low-bar squat to train a competitive Crossfit athlete as a sort of cheat code?

Also to be fair - I'm asking these questions because I'm wondering about the commercial application of SS principles. I asked a similar question recently regarding sports performance. If the answer is that low bar squatting translates better to the competitive Crossfitter's application than their high bar squat (which is utilized in the video linked below) doesn't it make sense from a commercial standpoint to say so? For example - let's assume that I can somehow through hard work and diligence and dedication and good luck be accepted as an SS coach - are individuals who want to compete at something like Crossfit people I should turn down?

CrossFit TOTALS - 2020 CrossFit Games Finals (Back Squat, Shoulder Press and Deadlift) - YouTube
    I would win this event easily thanks to Starting Strength's technical instructions for executing lifts and their programming despite the fact that I am a short, slightly dumpy father of two in his mid-30s endowed with the athletic ability of a potato. I also do not care that they just did a 1,000 upside down planche burpees because that is silly. They're world class athletes, they should be kicking my ass at everything no matter what.

If they are world class athletes, why are they not playing in the NFL? It pays better than CrossFit. That question has always bothered me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    If they are world class athletes, why are they not playing in the NFL? It pays better than CrossFit. That question has always bothered me.
    Their moms wouldn't let them play football because it's too dangerous.

Speaking of the NFL - professional athletes in the ball sports (MLB, NBA, NFL) and their farming leagues (college and such) display some atrocious form on all major lifts. I've noticed in both the NBA and NFL that they also utilize the high-bar variant. What is this a symptom of? PE degrees as you've stated on multiple occasions? It's simply the truth that you cannot get a PHD in squat form. But it's just surprising to me that these organizations will pay a training team exorbitant amount of money for some of the form I've seen.

It's a symptom of shitty S&C coaching. But with athletes at that level, who are already stronger than everybody else on earth and who are also physical magicians, it doesn't matter.

The State of Strength & Conditioning Coaching | Mark Rippetoe

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    They won't eat enough. If they eat too much then they can't do those handstand walks.

If female ice skaters are world class athletes. why are they not playing in the NFL? From what I understand, ice skaters actually do a fair amount of strength training. It would seem that you need pretty strong legs to hit a triple jump. And hockey players for sure. Aren't there also crossfit competitors who are very strong? Not those who go to the average neighborhood box and do long rows with no concern about form followed by air squats. But aren't some of the higher-level competitors on real strength programs like SS? I hope my neighbors don't read this forum, but I have a few of them who have the Crossfit Level 1 and they go to boxes.... after they lift weights in their garage! Crossfit is a sport like anything else so why wouldn't it require the display of strength... strength acquired via barbell exercises?

Quote Originally Posted by EdTice View Post
    If female ice skaters are world class athletes. why are they not playing in the NFL? From what I understand, ice skaters actually do a fair amount of strength training. It would seem that you need pretty strong legs to hit a triple jump. And hockey players for sure. Aren't there also crossfit competitors who are very strong? Not those who go to the average neighborhood box and do long rows with no concern about form followed by air squats. But aren't some of the higher-level competitors on real strength programs like SS? I hope my neighbors don't read this forum, but I have a few of them who have the Crossfit Level 1 and they go to boxes.... after they lift weights in their garage! Crossfit is a sport like anything else so why wouldn't it require the display of strength... strength acquired via barbell exercises?
    You seem very confused about several things.

starting strength coach development program
    Why do cross fitters do high bar squats is a question never actually asked by cross fitters.
    We assume every program has a rigorous discussion and analysis of physiology and an understanding of why the body must move through space a certain way in order to to keep a vertical bar path, or programming based on the S-R-A Cycle. That is clearly not the case. So if a movement is listed on a WOD, it must be done. And it will likely be done with poor form and a shoulder requiring surgery, and above all, don’t ask any questions! And don’t ask about the role of recovery, because there will be another WOD tomorrow....and since being a member at that box is expensive, you better be back tomorrow to get your money’s worth.

Unfortunately we might assume that other programs have a detailed textbook AND and an opportunity to challenge some of the material directly with the author. When I think about it, having the ability to do this is a gift, a luxury.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast