starting strength gym

Thread: Alternate for power clean?

Default Alternate for power clean?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've been strength training since mid February of this year, and was introduced to SS in mid/late April.

Stats:
    Male, 30yo 6'1"/6'2" - 195lbs (Start) 225lbs current.
    Squat started 135 x5 - currently 230 x 5
    Deadlift started 305 x 5 currently 365 x 5
    Bench started 165 x 5 currently 240 x 5
    Press started 135 x 5 currently 175 x 5

I'm frustrated with my deadlift - I haven't been able to deadlift 3 x a week since maybe the second or third week of the program due to inability to fully recover. I can't do power cleans in my gym either (signed a year up font before I knew about SS so that is water under the bridge).

Every other lift, especially my squat, is going up by 5lbs+ per session (with the exception of the press which has just now failed at the 5lb jump, getting some micro plates on Amazon).

I've read the first three questions, and they all check out - and seem to be evidenced in every other lift still moving up fast.

Should I just stick with deadlifting 1 or 2 times a week or is there any other substitute for the power clean for non-deadlift days that will help with my pull?

It's pretty frustrating to see quick progress on all my other lifts, but slow progress and barely any novice effect on what was my best lift starting out.

Or maybe my utterly pathetic squat needs to get closer to the deadlift numbers and the deadlift will start to go up? Is it possible that legs/ass strength are my sticking point on the deadlift?

Any advice appreciated.

Do you mean that the gym will not allow you to do power cleans or is it something else?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Do you mean that the gym will not allow you to do power cleans or is it something else?
    Correct, they won't let me do power cleans (or snatches et). It's an AnyTime Fitness, so not sure if it is a local rule or franchise wide.

Well other than the usual advice of "get a new gym even if you can't get the contract terminated", you could deadlift light, you could barbell row, you could just do chins. There are a lot of options, but the key is that the "light" option when you're not deadlifting heavy should little enough stress that you aren't accumulating more stress than you can recover from.

Personally, I think you need to find a new gym, even if you're going to eat half a year of gym dues. You might be able to get it terminated early. Most owners of businesses don't want people there who don't want to be there. Anytime is a franchise system, so the owner of the franchise might actually be the person you talk to.
    Last edited by AndrewLewis; 06-14-2021 at 12:12 PM.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Odd, that this has never come up before...

starting strength coach development program
    Is the issue that they don't want you to clean, or that they don't want you to drop your cleans? Because if it's the second one I would just train the cleans until they tell you not to. Just catch them at the thigh and lower them quietly.