starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Novice Incorporating SS Principles Into Current Practice

Default Novice Incorporating SS Principles Into Current Practice

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello all. Once again I come to you seeking knowledge.

I've been actively training others for the past 8 years, and I can honestly say that I have no idea where I'd be in life if it weren't for fitness or barbells. Unfortunately I spent a good portion of that time stuck in my own ways, and a larger portion rejecting the industry and merely using it as a springboard for other pursuits. In my folly I did not totally indulge in the breath of knowledge available to me, including the SS principles.

Needless to say I am now an acolyte of this obscure yet potentially lucrative training model. The only issue is that A) I am still very much a novice B) I'm currently training athletes and middle aged people in a group setting and C) I've spent 8 years training myself to train others to high-bar squat with vertical backs, and other cues that run counter to the principles outlined in the blue book. This morning I took 15 young athletes through an inaugural workout - some of which had never touched a barbell in their lives. I do not have the confidence to introduce them to SS barbell form because I am unqualified. I introduced them to what I know and have almost a decade of experience teaching (I can't tell you the amount of air-squats or barbell squats I've taught - but it is probably a ridiculous number even if the form is ultimately "wrong").

My question is this - when can I incorporate the principles into my current practice? If I ultimately striving to be a SSC - should I wait until I am fully certified? I'm working my way through the novice linear progression. I'm going to hire an online SSC. I'm going to attend a seminar. Where in this process can I essentially use my own clients as my "apprenticeship"? Should I mostly use one-on-one clients in the beginning as my lab rats?

Excuse all my questions. I'm just interested in being a better coach and doing this right. Thanks.

So your question is, how long do I wait to start doing things correctly?

How long before I am able to do things correctly? Do I wait until I have everything perfect or do I start today and learn through experience? Can starting today be a part of my learning or should I wait until I'm further along?

How do you plan on becoming "perfect" without practicing and getting experience and learning from doing things wrong?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

The only way to get better is to practice. You will make mistakes and that is fine, as long as you do not make the same mistake twice.

Stop waiting for someone to give you permission to develop yourself.

This is a great question of ethics. Since you are thoughtful enough to ask the question I think you know the answer. You will do as you have been doing and train your students in a safe manner. Some of the stuff in the blue book matters more than other stuff when the weight is light. For example; Squatting deep enough with the knees out is important even when the weight is light. If the grip on the low bar squat is wrong it is not noticeable at light weight, but when the grip is wrong with heavy weight you may wreck your wrist or drop the bar. Everything in the blue book is important, but you are probably already teaching the most important principles. You seem like you are doing everything right in that you are seeking certification as a coach, and you realize that you are a novice even as an experienced lifter. The article on form creep is good since it covers many of the common form errors and why they happen. The time to do it right is now. If you are not confident in coaching a particular lift then you should not do so. I'd be glad to have someone so thoughtful coaching me.

I was sold on the SS method of doing the lifts being the right way to do them within a few weeks of my first session with an SS coach, if not the day of. (Squats felt right immediately; might have taken me a couple of weeks of gains on the deadlift to believe in the relatively high-hip SS position.)

I am not a coach, but if I were, I can't picture teaching people the high-bar squat or low-hip deadlift position while using and believing in the SS model myself. I would want to pass on the correct technique immediately, limited only by my own skill with it and ability to teach it.

jcockerham, if you are interested in the opinion of a client, my expectation is that my SSC will be qualified. I'm not paying him to go to school, I'm paying him to help me get stronger in as safe a manner as possible.

And what I haven't seen come up in the conversation is managing injury. Again, it's my expectation that my SSC will be knowledgeable in this area.

If being an SSC is something you aspire to, and you already demonstrated good ethical standing in that you are uncomfortable incorporating SS methods in your current practice because you know you are not qualified, then I think you would be a hell of a good coach if you complete whatever criteria is necessary. Clearly you take this seriously and you are likely going to care enough not to injure your clients.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by tompaynter View Post
    I was sold on the SS method of doing the lifts being the right way to do them within a few weeks of my first session with an SS coach, if not the day of. (Squats felt right immediately; might have taken me a couple of weeks of gains on the deadlift to believe in the relatively high-hip SS position.)

I am not a coach, but if I were, I can't picture teaching people the high-bar squat or low-hip deadlift position while using and believing in the SS model myself. I would want to pass on the correct technique immediately, limited only by my own skill with it and ability to teach it.
    It's more of a practical and ethical question. I am being paid by individuals to provide a product - not to use them as a guinea pig for my learning pleasure. I can see one making the argument that an apprenticeship essentially does this - but this is different than being out on an island of self-teaching. It would be nice if there were more information for us that are trying this on our own.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by jcockerham View Post
    It's more of a practical and ethical question. I am being paid by individuals to provide a product - not to use them as a guinea pig for my learning pleasure. I can see one making the argument that an apprenticeship essentially does this - but this is different than being out on an island of self-teaching.
    How did you get good at what you do currently?

Quote Originally Posted by jcockerham View Post
    It would be nice if there were more information for us that are trying this on our own.
    It might be time to sign up for a seminar if you've already read the book.
    Last edited by AndrewLewis; 06-06-2021 at 06:03 PM.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast