starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Special snowflake routine modification

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by BigHig View Post
    Front squat 200lbs - YouTube

I am gently impinging on the deepest reps here, so this represents the full hip range of motion.
    You can't perform a correct squat with that hip angle? Why not? Look, if you want to front squat, go ahead, but with about 2 minutes worth of coaching I can get a perfectly acceptable squat out of this hip angle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You can't perform a correct squat with that hip angle? Why not? Look, if you want to front squat, go ahead, but with about 2 minutes worth of coaching I can get a perfectly acceptable squat out of this hip angle.
    Could you explain how? I respect your coaching highly so I guess I am missing something here.
    If the bar is over midfoot in that video, and a back squat will put my upper torso on the other side of the bar, then relative to the bar over the foot, my upper torso would have to be further forward by at least 6 inches. The only way I see that could happen is if the hip angle closes (impossible), the knees go further forward, or I raise the hips to have shallower depth, which would be above parallel. What am I misunderstanding?

Luckily I have the leg right here, and I can confirm the diagnosis, so you don't need to wonder about it. I cannot pull my knees to my chest or anywhere near, because it very noticeably comes to a hard stop and pinches the front of the hip, where it impinges.
    I can't pull my knees to my chest either and I know the pain you're talking about as I have it too. I was convinced I had structurally prohibitive deformities. Then I got coached. Lately, I've been told I'm overshooting depth, and I have no hip pain to speak of. So, there's a great to perfect chance that you'll be able to do the program as written if you get proper coaching on how to low bar squat.

Could you explain how? I respect your coaching highly so I guess I am missing something here.
    If the bar is over midfoot in that video, and a back squat will put my upper torso on the other side of the bar, then relative to the bar over the foot, my upper torso would have to be further forward by at least 6 inches. The only way I see that could happen is if the hip angle closes (impossible), the knees go further forward, or I raise the hips to have shallower depth, which would be above parallel. What am I misunderstanding?
    If your knees go back/shins stay more vertical and your back angle thus becomes more horizontal, you are performing a squat. And the frontal plane -- not just the sagittal -- must be considered, since your knees go out.

If you haven’t been in front of a SSC (not Rip) before, you can’t imagine the knowledge and quality of instruction. I have and it is amazing.
    Now consider Rip who developed the model, who has coached countless lifters for 40 years with all kinds of issues, and yes, he is not exaggerating about how quickly he could get you squared away.
    You know his knowledge of anatomy and physiology sis insane. Go see him and prove him wrong. I’ll you at a seminar in October.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    If your knees go back/shins stay more vertical and your back angle thus becomes more horizontal, you are performing a squat. And the frontal plane -- not just the sagittal -- must be considered, since your knees go out.
    I don't really understand this response. If the superior end of my femur can't raise any more (since I'm barely below parallel already), and my knees go back, and my back angle becomes more horizontal, then my hip angle has become more acute. My hip angle can't become any more acute than it is in that video, though. It seems to me that the only way my back can become more horizontal is by my ass coming up, bringing me above parallel.

I guess I'll bite the bullet and get some coaching though; I was already considering it. Thanks for your responses.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12