starting strength gym

Thread: Did too much sweat change my belt? Should I wash it?

Default Did too much sweat change my belt? Should I wash it?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have the dominion strength belt I purchased approximately 4 years ago and It was always a great belt. Now I seem to be getting bruising around my mid section where it is pinching me during squats and deadlifts. It doesn't hurt much but it does look really stupid when I am shirtless.

For the life of the belt I did not have this issue. It only started within the last year or so. I thought maybe it could be due to too much sweating while I was working out in a location with no air conditioning and 90+ degree humid weather during the pandemic when my main gym was closed. I thought maybe the sweat could have made it more stiff than usual.

Other explanations could be a decrease in weight. Approximately 2 years ago I decreased my body fat from 28% to 20% losing about 20lbs.

Anyone have any recommendations here? Is washing the belt an option? The bruising is pretty annoying and unsightly.

Washing? Try working a little neatsfoot oil into it. Or if you're determined to clean it, saddle soap and then neatsfoot oil.

Quote Originally Posted by edjohnson View Post
    I have the dominion strength belt I purchased approximately 4 years ago and It was always a great belt. Now I seem to be getting bruising around my mid section where it is pinching me during squats and deadlifts. It doesn't hurt much but it does look really stupid when I am shirtless.

For the life of the belt I did not have this issue. It only started within the last year or so. I thought maybe it could be due to too much sweating while I was working out in a location with no air conditioning and 90+ degree humid weather during the pandemic when my main gym was closed. I thought maybe the sweat could have made it more stiff than usual.

Other explanations could be a decrease in weight. Approximately 2 years ago I decreased my body fat from 28% to 20% losing about 20lbs.

Anyone have any recommendations here? Is washing the belt an option? The bruising is pretty annoying and unsightly.
    Sounds like it is too tight to me