starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stalling on deadlift at pathetically weak weight. What is going on?

Ha I'm definitely squatting to depth on my squat. I think fatigue is the more likely answer...

It had nothing to do with treating it. It was to find root cause. After we did those we were able to point out exactly where I started loading my arms, and made adjustments to my grip. It's not like I did them after my session.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    Read this article, both parts. Then read the forum discussion for each. NM, I see that buried in there. But it would be good to read it again, including the forum discussions. The answers to your questions are in there. Seriously.

You did not mention your programming. What are you doing? NLP? Which phase? Still a standard A/B newbie novice? You stopped doing cleans/chins, but why? They are very important as a lighter recovery day for your deadlifts as those get heavier. Dropping those just means that you will not recover from your previous deadlift session in order to progress on your next.

Your questions:
    1) No. You're still a novice that isn't even close to needing to introduce those variations.
    2) 5lb increments from here on out.
    3) They won't, because if you reread the Artificially Weak Deadlifts article again, you'll find that the solution is a deload your squat in order for your hips and lower back to recover while your deadlifts start to climb again (trust this process). Do not deload your deadlift while driving up your squat.
    4) The conditioning issue is that you are not giving your hips and lower back a chance to recover from your currently heavy (to you, based on your current strength levels) combined squat and deadlift volume. Going into your work session, your lower back is already near its limit, at which point you might get a rep or three off the floor, but no more. No matter how hard you try. Higher rep schemes (which necessitate lighter weights) are not the solution. Also, you're trying to pull your limit deadlifts on the same day that you're doing your limit squats. Some minor modifications to your weekly squat programming, e.g., H/L/H, and doing your limit Deadlifts on those lighter squat days often does the trick. Also, that lighter squat day slows down your rapid progress (which is OK in this case), which means that you won't catch up to your deadlifts as fast. This is all in the book(s).

You really aren't in a unique situation. A lot of folks run into it, hence the articles and forum discussions.

Newbie A/B. I stopped doing Cleans/Chins for a few weeks because I realized I had a deadlift which was not challenging, so I started Deadlifting every session to get them up to a more sensible number.
    I appreciate your direct answers to my questions. I will take all of those going forward.

3) They won't, because if you reread the Artificially Weak Deadlifts article again, you'll find that the solution is a deload your squat in order for your hips and lower back to recover while your deadlifts start to climb again (trust this process). Do not deload your deadlift while driving up your squat.

I must be illiterate. I can't find reference to either part of the article that says to deload the squat. The closest thing I could find was this, which doesn't really imply that in my opinion:

" This is important, because if the deadlift is artificially light due to an improper progression then what typically happens next is that the squat will eventually get legitimately heavy, taxing the weak low back and resulting in missed deadlifts that would have otherwise been completed. The opposite is not often the case because when the deadlift gets too heavy to recover from it typically will not break off of the floor, even while the squat will continue to progress. Squatting does not require isometric loading to initiate the movement and is more likely to continue making progress in the presence of heavy pulls. "

I am not a coach and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express, so take this with salt: if you aren't in a position to see a coach and you want to test whether the squats are interfering, you could always do the deadlift first one day. You'd have to be a little more careful in warmups to make sure you're warm (not more volume, mind, just being more deliberate since you don't have squats warming everything up). You also couldn't do heavy squats that day; deadlifts kill squats more than squats kill deadlifts, which is why they're in the order presented in NLP. But if it's just that the squats are causing fatigue problems, you should find the deadlifts easier to finish if you don't squat beforehand.

Your current weights are about the point where I stopped doing heavy squats on deadlift days for this very reason. I was still feeling the squats when deadlifts came around (though squats don't seem to interfere with power cleans yet). It's not canonical NLP, but it made my deads feel much more secure. That said, I'm shorter, lighter, and older, so I'm not a particularly good example for you in particular.

Ok, I really appreciate all the feedback. I'm going to try to deload my deadlift to 265, since I know I can lift that for 5. I'll lower my squat down to 215, 50 lb behind it.
    Unless Rip, stef, Nick, or another moderator jumps in and tells me this is an awful idea, I'll change my programming to A/B, where A is light squat/overhead/deadlfit and B is squat/bench/clean/chins.
    It's a big step back, but it will take my deadlift to 300 lb by end of August. Hopefully my next stall will be somewhere in the mid-300s and then I can switch to a squat/lite/squat scheme and deadlifting every other week.
    Those asking for a video on my deadlift, my form is pretty good. I don't have the video capacity to upload more than a clip that's 10 seconds long. But my back is neutral, the bar stays in a pretty straight line, and I lockout strongly.

Not a coach, but there’s a lot going on in your deadlift, based on the single rep you sent. Your back is not set, for starters. It also looks like you’re trying to pull the bar off the floor instead of leg pressing. You may be too close to the bar, but it’s hard to tell from this view (read the sticky). Again, not a coach… Did the SSC you saw go over deadlifts with you?

Quote Originally Posted by TwigsthePnoDude View Post
    Hard to get much from a single and from this angle, but right off the bat your back is not tight enough because you are jerking the bar off the floor.

You need to set your back tight by lifting your chest hard and “pre-pull” the bar before you drive your heels into the floor to actually lift the bar.

Also, keep your head down.

Have you tried a belt?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by TwigsthePnoDude View Post
    Why only one rep? Was this the whole set? It looks like you're kinda slow out of the bottom but it also looks like you can lift more than this. Some of the cues for getting the legs involved in the deadlift start might be helpful for you.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast