starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stalling on deadlift at pathetically weak weight. What is going on?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by TwigsthePnoDude View Post
    Good callout, I had thought that by lifting at submaximal weights it wouldn't be as fatiguing.
    It looks like you are sorted out but for future reference (for you and anybody who finds this thread in a search), cutting 10% of the weight but doubling total number of sets does not count as a deload. I am not an expert on strength training so I am very conservative in my comments. If you were training for a distance running event, found yourself overreaching, and slowed your pace by 10% but doubled your distance, I would state with certainty that it won't end well. It seems that this would apply equally to strength training, but I don't have the expertise or experience to speak with the same level of confidence.

I can say confidently that what is sufficient to *prevent* overtraining is *not* sufficient to *resolve* overtraining. Runners who overtrain often need a full two weeks of nothing but leisurely walks in order to kick start the recovery process. I have read all of the SS books multiple times and, assuming I'm not completely devoid of reading comprehension, the program seems designed to ensure that one never hits the ugliness of overtraining by reacting to the first signs of accumulated fatigue. That's why the deloads and resets have to be taken seriously. If you take an unnecessary deload or reset, you slow yourself down a little. If you don't take one that's needed, you can get wrecked.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schexnayder View Post
    Hard to get much from a single and from this angle, but right off the bat your back is not tight enough because you are jerking the bar off the floor.

You need to set your back tight by lifting your chest hard and “pre-pull” the bar before you drive your heels into the floor to actually lift the bar.

Also, keep your head down.

Have you tried a belt?
    This is interesting, I don't feel like I'm jerking the bar and to be honest I can't really see it in the video. What I'm doing is trying to prepull the bar as you say.
    Yes, I did fix the head problem haha.
    And I have taken Rip's advice to not use a belt on deadlifts. I use it on my squats.

The reason why there is only one rep is because it's a 10 second excerpt from the whole set. My phone doesn't have the capacity to transfer much more than that without it becoming extremely blurry, and up to a minute to file is too large to send.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_B View Post
    Not a coach, but there’s a lot going on in your deadlift, based on the single rep you sent. Your back is not set, for starters. It also looks like you’re trying to pull the bar off the floor instead of leg pressing. You may be too close to the bar, but it’s hard to tell from this view (read the sticky). Again, not a coach… Did the SSC you saw go over deadlifts with you?
    I didn't see a SS coach. I believe the closest one would probably be in Phoenix.
    I just found an old timer who used to powerlift in the 70s. Not famous, but trained under some pretty famous lifters.

3) They won't, because if you reread the Artificially Weak Deadlifts article again, you'll find that the solution is a deload your squat in order for your hips and lower back to recover while your deadlifts start to climb again (trust this process). Do not deload your deadlift while driving up your squat.

I must be illiterate. I can't find reference to either part of the article that says to deload the squat. The closest thing I could find was this, which doesn't really imply that in my opinion:

" This is important, because if the deadlift is artificially light due to an improper progression then what typically happens next is that the squat will eventually get legitimately heavy, taxing the weak low back and resulting in missed deadlifts that would have otherwise been completed. The opposite is not often the case because when the deadlift gets too heavy to recover from it typically will not break off of the floor, even while the squat will continue to progress. Squatting does not require isometric loading to initiate the movement and is more likely to continue making progress in the presence of heavy pulls. "
    Nope, you aren't illiterate. You're just bumping up against something that all of us have dealt with - synthesizing all of the information across all three books, the articles, the videos, and the forum posts. This bit of info is in this forum post by Robert Santana. Also note that he is talking about programming rack pulls, etc., but he's addressing that to someone who is pulling 500+ off the floor.

Newbie A/B. I stopped doing Cleans/Chins for a few weeks because I realized I had a deadlift which was not challenging, so I started Deadlifting every session to get them up to a more sensible number.
    I appreciate your direct answers to my questions. I will take all of those going forward.
    If you haven't yet, pick up both Practical Programming 3 AND Barbell Prescription (regardless of your age).

Combined, both really lay out programming progressions to help you get through all of these sticking points. For example, in BBRx the "Rank Novice" A/B cycle that you were doing is described as being only 2-3 weeks in duration until the "deadlift strength has progressed well ahead of the squat" (pp. 187-8). That's when you introduce the cleans on the B day and run that for another 2-4 weeks and you start alternating deadlifts and power cleans on your A day while doing chins or back extensions (Good Mornings, RDLs, Stiff-legged DLs, etc), etc., etc. Also note that these time-frames are flexible, going longer the younger you are.

And I have taken Rip's advice to not use a belt on deadlifts. I use it on my squats.
    Amazing. The Belt and the Deadlift | Mark Rippetoe

The reason why there is only one rep is because it's a 10 second excerpt from the whole set. My phone doesn't have the capacity to transfer much more than that without it becoming extremely blurry, and up to a minute to file is too large to send.
    Then you don't have the ability to post a form check. Required reading before posting

I didn't see a SS coach. I believe the closest one would probably be in Phoenix.
    I just found an old timer who used to powerlift in the 70s. Not famous, but trained under some pretty famous lifters.
    Well, that should be good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    Nope, you aren't illiterate. You're just bumping up against something that all of us have dealt with - synthesizing all of the information across all three books, the articles, the videos, and the forum posts. This bit of info is in this forum post by Robert Santana. Also note that he is talking about programming rack pulls, etc., but he's addressing that to someone who is pulling 500+ off the floor.

If you haven't yet, pick up both Practical Programming 3 AND Barbell Prescription (regardless of your age).

Combined, both really lay out programming progressions to help you get through all of these sticking points. For example, in BBRx the "Rank Novice" A/B cycle that you were doing is described as being only 2-3 weeks in duration until the "deadlift strength has progressed well ahead of the squat" (pp. 187-8). That's when you introduce the cleans on the B day and run that for another 2-4 weeks and you start alternating deadlifts and power cleans on your A day while doing chins or back extensions (Good Mornings, RDLs, Stiff-legged DLs, etc), etc., etc. Also note that these time-frames are flexible, going longer the younger you are.
    This helps thank you!
    I do have PPST but not Barbell Medicine. I understand that part, but figured because my deadlift was artificially weak I should probably go back to square one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Amazing. The Belt and the Deadlift | Mark Rippetoe

Then you don't have the ability to post a form check. Required reading before posting

Well, that should be good enough.
    Thank you for that. I only listened to the podcast. I will reread the article and relisten to your podcast segment on it. Clearly I did not grasp it all (I'm not the best at reading comprehension).
    You're correct, I don't have the ability to post a form check. That's all I have.
    On the coaching thing, I'm assuming you're being sarcastic. What would be your advice? I can't take an 8 hour drive to Phoenix and online coaching is expensive. I was in real pain and the guy worked out grip adjustments with me that did wonders.

Has this coach read the book?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Has this coach read the book?
    We are in the middle of nowhere New Mexico and he's like 70 years old so I would be surprised if he's even heard of it.
    He was an athletic coach in ABQ for a while and one of his student's has the high school female deadlift record and another of his students was John Posen (although he says he coached him in high school, never as a pro-Strongman).

For context I showed him your deadlift instructional video and he said that was one of the clearest explanations on how to do the deadlift and to stick with that method. I am planning to do antoher session with him, I'd like to do it monthly.

And just to be very clear on this, I've only gone to him for form help. We haven't discussed programming in any capacity. I figured programming help would be easiest to ask to forum for advice on (from what I couldn't figure out from books/articles).

We are in the middle of nowhere New Mexico ..
    Where in NM?

Interesting that of all the things wrong with that single rep, he chose to fix your grip…

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank_B View Post
    Interesting that of all the things wrong with that single rep, he chose to fix your grip…
    He fixed my grip on my squat, not my deadlift. Can you elaborate more on what was wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Oso Rojo View Post
    Where in NM?
    Alamogordo

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast