starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Stalling on deadlift at pathetically weak weight. What is going on?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by TwigsthePnoDude View Post
    He fixed my grip on my squat, not my deadlift. Can you elaborate more on what was wrong?
    Others have mentioned that you aren't setting your back so it would be helpful if you indicate whether or not you are *trying* to set your back. I see your thoracic spine go from flexion to extension. My hypothesis is that, with lighter weights, when your thoracic spine gets to extension, your lumbar spine is *also* neutral and you are relying solely on the proprioceptive feedback that your thoracic spine is in the 'right' position rather than also paying attention to the lumbar spine. Now that the barbell is heavier and there is more slack to pull out, you can't "get away" with this anymore and need to put effort into also checking the position of the lumbar spine.

If I listen to the video with audio, I can hear the slight "click" where you put tension into your back which is why I think that you are trying to set it. Then I hear the big breath and, finally the barbell comes off the floor. You are clearly holding part of the tension in your back because, otherwise, we would hear the plates rattle on the barbell *after* the breath.

I am not an SSC and I'm a mediocre weightlifter at best. But if you are going to make another video, it won't hurt if you get your back to where it feels like it's set in extension, pause for a second, and then try to get out more slack out of the barbell before you take your big breath and pull.

Have you had problems in the past with your lumbar spine going into extension and causing discomfort when you try to set your back?

Quote Originally Posted by EdTice View Post
    Others have mentioned that you aren't setting your back so it would be helpful if you indicate whether or not you are *trying* to set your back. I see your thoracic spine go from flexion to extension. My hypothesis is that, with lighter weights, when your thoracic spine gets to extension, your lumbar spine is *also* neutral and you are relying solely on the proprioceptive feedback that your thoracic spine is in the 'right' position rather than also paying attention to the lumbar spine. Now that the barbell is heavier and there is more slack to pull out, you can't "get away" with this anymore and need to put effort into also checking the position of the lumbar spine.
    There is a lot for me to reflect on here so I really appreciate your thoroughness. I am certainly trying to set my back. I think the reason why it may appear I'm not is because I'm trying to go as quickly as possible while still getting the bar to a deadstop and maintaining a neutral spine in an attempt to maximize efficiency. In terms of the five steps I'm doing: 1) set feet > 2) set grip > 3) set shins > 4) set chest/back > 5) pull > 6) lower weight > 7) repeat 4)&5) until set is over.
    Now that you've pointed this out, I believe I'm only focusing on my chest/upper back on the repeated 4th step, and assuming my lower back is good as well.

If I listen to the video with audio, I can hear the slight "click" where you put tension into your back which is why I think that you are trying to set it. Then I hear the big breath and, finally the barbell comes off the floor. You are clearly holding part of the tension in your back because, otherwise, we would hear the plates rattle on the barbell *after* the breath.
    Yes, that is me pulling the slack out of the bar. Is what you're seeing here a good or bad thing though?

I am not an SSC and I'm a mediocre weightlifter at best. But if you are going to make another video, it won't hurt if you get your back to where it feels like it's set in extension, pause for a second, and then try to get out more slack out of the barbell before you take your big breath and pull.
    I will try this, thanks!

Have you had problems in the past with your lumbar spine going into extension and causing discomfort when you try to set your back?
    The only other reason why I reset my deadlift before this one was because I was rounding my upper back during the pull (not failing the set or during setup, just slight rounding led me to do deload). This may be why I'm biasing setting up my thoracic spine and not my lumbar.

You are not setting your back and you are jerking the bar off the floor. You probably have the bar behind the mid foot as well, it is hard to tell with the video. But none of this really matters, does it? You don’t really wanna hear that you are doing anything wrong, you can’t be bothered to post a proper form check video (the crowd in the technique forum could fix you in no time), you just wanna shoot some shit.

There is a lot for me to reflect on here so I really appreciate your thoroughness. I am certainly trying to set my back. I think the reason why it may appear I'm not is because I'm trying to go as quickly as possible while still getting the bar to a deadstop and maintaining a neutral spine in an attempt to maximize efficiency. In terms of the five steps I'm doing: 1) set feet > 2) set grip > 3) set shins > 4) set chest/back > 5) pull > 6) lower weight > 7) repeat 4)&5) until set is over.
    Now that you've pointed this out, I believe I'm only focusing on my chest/upper back on the repeated 4th step, and assuming my lower back is good as well.

Yes, that is me pulling the slack out of the bar. Is what you're seeing here a good or bad thing though?

I will try this, thanks!

The only other reason why I reset my deadlift before this one was because I was rounding my upper back during the pull (not failing the set or during setup, just slight rounding led me to do deload). This may be why I'm biasing setting up my thoracic spine and not my lumbar.
    I agree with those saying you aren't setting your back. Don't worry about trying to go quickly. Step 4 should take a second or two. Squeezing one's chest up without dropping the hips puts just about the whole body under tension. It isn't a comfortable, relaxed position one could hold forever. You want to feel yourself in that position for a moment before you start the lift. I like the cue "squeeze oranges in your armpits" to engage the lats. I don't think about the upper and lower back separately. If I squeeze my chest up without dropping my hips, it flattens my whole back. For me squeezing my chest up is step 4a and taking a big breath is step 4b--two distinct moments.

I think your lack of really setting your back is apparent throughout the lift--the whole thing looks a little soft. Yes, it's normal to lower a heavy deadlift faster than it comes up rather than doing a slow negative, but it looks like you sort of relax and let it go, which is a symptom I think of you not being tight to begin with.

A good thing to do is practice this throughout your warmup sets. Try to get just as tight before you pull 135 as before your heavy set.

Quote Originally Posted by tompaynter View Post
    I agree with those saying you aren't setting your back. Don't worry about trying to go quickly. Step 4 should take a second or two. Squeezing one's chest up without dropping the hips puts just about the whole body under tension. It isn't a comfortable, relaxed position one could hold forever. You want to feel yourself in that position for a moment before you start the lift. I like the cue "squeeze oranges in your armpits" to engage the lats. I don't think about the upper and lower back separately. If I squeeze my chest up without dropping my hips, it flattens my whole back. For me squeezing my chest up is step 4a and taking a big breath is step 4b--two distinct moments.

I think your lack of really setting your back is apparent throughout the lift--the whole thing looks a little soft. Yes, it's normal to lower a heavy deadlift faster than it comes up rather than doing a slow negative, but it looks like you sort of relax and let it go, which is a symptom I think of you not being tight to begin with.

A good thing to do is practice this throughout your warmup sets. Try to get just as tight before you pull 135 as before your heavy set.
    Thank you for your advice. I like the orange thing.
    Just an update, I did deadlifts the other day and while I start well setting my back, mid-set I start to fatigue which I think leads to panic and results in forgetting to set my back and resulting in a jerk.

Thank you for your advice. I like the orange thing.
    Just an update, I did deadlifts the other day and while I start well setting my back, mid-set I start to fatigue which I think leads to panic and results in forgetting to set my back and resulting in a jerk.
    Trained yesterday and realized I reversed my 4a and 4b. I take a big breath, then squeeze my chest up, then pull. Not squeeze-breath-pull.

starting strength coach development program
    . . . while I start well setting my back, mid-set I start to fatigue which I think leads to panic and results in forgetting to set my back . . .
    By mid-set (rep 4) I really don't want to continue. Panic is tempting, but setting the back is what saves you. If I set the back hard, I will walk away unscathed at the end of the set. If I don't, I multiply the risk that I'll tweak my back and won't be sleeping. That's my extra incentive to focus on back tightness mid-set and not to rush through it when I just want to be done.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234