starting strength gym

Thread: Low bar squat grip

Default Low bar squat grip

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Up to this point I have been doing a 'thumbs around' grip on the low-bar squat. I re-read the chapter on grip, and I am experiencing just about every issue Rip discusses in SS3d by doing this. Elbows sore, shoulder doesn't feel great, and the bar rolls slightly in the hole. In fact, I am starting to realize that I am rolling the bar consistently (albeit a very small amount) which helps me keep balance at the bottom, and am doing some slight thoracic rounding as a consequence.

I realize this is a problem and am going to try to fix it; I have two questions and would welcome any input:

1. Is there anyone out there who can low-bar decently heavy weight with a thumbs around grip, who does not experience the issues discussed above?

2. I'm considering taking the next six workouts (or so) to build up the weight back up with the thumbs 'on top' grip. I'm currently squatting 3 x 5 @ 325. Should I drop back to 3 x 5 @ 225, and then make 15lb jumps each session until I'm back to where I was?

I'm certainly not trying to unnecessarily delay my training, but this new thumb position is going to take some getting used to.

I guess we should make a video about this.