starting strength gym
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: The Only Emphasis Is Strength | Mark Rippetoe

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This is pointless, guys. But continue if it amuses you.
    I feel quite happy pointing out how I got huge and am attracting even more looks from the ladies (I got the prettiest face in the Balkans, so this is nothing new, but man has it gotten serious), all with the help of some squatting.

Quote Originally Posted by tompaynter View Post
    Sorry rip but people are still talking shit about me so I feel entitled to respond.

Wow, so intermediate trainees huh? Like how I said in my very first post that started this shitshow, " I thought SS's philosophy was that getting stronger is the fastest way to get bigger, at least through the NLP. ...After the lifter has that base of strength, though, goals could diverge...Suppose we have a lifter who has finished his NLP..." Man you really opened my eyes!
    I'm not quite sure how my contribution was 'talking shit about you'. I don't think I wrote anything offensive, but please let me know if something I said really did cross a line. Simply trying to explain that:
    1. Yes your lifting numbers are relevant because far too many don't properly finish the NLP because they are tempted to bring in other complexity too soon. Therefore whenever someone asks the hypothetical Ripps answer will be finish your NLP fully first.
    2. Ripp's position is well known. His answer for almost everything is going to be along the lines "finish the NLP, get your lifts up, if you don't like my program do something else". As a direct quote (bold added) "My opinion about barbell rows is as follows: fuck barbell rows. Really. Fuck them. Stop wasting time worrying about barbell rows and get your deadlift up to 500. By then you'll have your own opinion and you won't have to worry about mine."
    3. Ripp is not an expert on everything, so I choose to use his forum to ask about strength training and injury rehab. If I wanted advice on hypertrophy I would choose to ask someone else because I believe other people may know more about this than him.
    4. Ripp is a human and can make mistakes, change his mind and exaggerate to make a point.

I freely admit I add in curls, lateral raises, overhead dumbell extensions and barbell/dumbell rows when I feel like it, and I don't powerclean because I prefer romanian deadlifts. By my best estimates, the curls and extensions have added 1/4 to 1/2 inch on my arms over what the NLP produced on its own. I have run our NLP a few times with and without extras and have used this as my basis for the estimate, yes it is completely non-scientific and anecdotal. I choose not to make the lifestyle adjustments to commit to intermediate programming consistently. I have even added in a limited amount of jogging and intervals when I want to be able to keep up at basketball with the kids (though I kill them on screens and in the post) and suffer my lifts going down for a period then re-run NLP from a lower starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Le Comte View Post
    I'm not quite sure how my contribution was 'talking shit about you'. I don't think I wrote anything offensive, but please let me know if something I said really did cross a line.
    Ok, retracted as to you. Y'all merged together into a mass of pile-on after awhile. You did basically tell me, "Reread this--it applies to INTERMEDIATE trainees" when I had said that from the beginning, which I filed along with all the "ur dumb and suck at reading comp" responses.

Here's where I think the miscommunication is in all of this: yes, the spirit and emphasis and vastly most important part of Starting Strength is about all the benefits of getting stronger through hard basic training. Lots of people miss that or don't want to hear it. Often when someone comes along and nitpicks at this or that, it's because they are missing the big important central thing.

But I am ON BOARD with all that. I have derived huge benefits from it. My training is 3x5 squats, 1x5 deadlifts, presses, bench, a few chins. I am stronger than I have ever been.

I am asking a question about a few recommendations around the edges, not because I am avoiding the big central thing, but because I ALREADY ACCEPT IT. Now I am curious about the little refinements one might add at the appropriate time. Like, at some point I might want to do a few curls, as most people do if I understand correctly. In my case because I don't put a lot of leg size on from 5's, I am curious about what rip has written more than once about hypertrophy work for the intermediate trainee who is already strong.

So no, your response wasn't offensive. You pointed me back to the spirit and emphasis and big central point of SS. Which is fine but not terribly useful for the questions I was asking give the point of view from which I was asking them.

Like, at some point I might want to do a few curls, as most people do if I understand correctly. In my case because I don't put a lot of leg size on from 5's, I am curious about what rip has written more than once about hypertrophy work for the intermediate trainee who is already strong.
    But you are not strong. So dont think about it.

So no, your response wasn't offensive. You pointed me back to the spirit and emphasis and big central point of SS. Which is fine but not terribly useful for the questions I was asking give the point of view from which I was asking them.
    Thank you Tom. My honest answer is I dont know. My brother has bigger quads than me though Im stronger. I used to get pissy about lack of quads, he used to get pissy about lack of weight on the bar. We used to train together and do the exact same workout. Now we are both mid-late 40 Im bigger and stronger because he doesn’t lift anymore.

Ok, retracted as to you. Y'all merged together into a mass of pile-on after awhile. You did basically tell me, "Reread this--it applies to INTERMEDIATE trainees" when I had said that from the beginning, which I filed along with all the "ur dumb and suck at reading comp" responses.
    The point everyone else is trying to make is that accessory work is not gonna do you much good until you get your squat to a really challenging weight. However, this is one of those things that are tough to explain, you gotta experience it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    The point everyone else is trying to make is that accessory work is not gonna do you much good until you get your squat to a really challenging weight. However, this is one of those things that are tough to explain, you gotta experience it.
    What's your squat, age, body weight, and height? Fair questions because you are making a point based on your own personal experience. You mentioned earlier that your squat is 350...is that 1 rep max, 5 rep max, or a training weight you can do for 3 sets of 5? What's your deadlift, bench, press?

Quote Originally Posted by Sturw View Post
    Same questions to you, because you also sound like you are claiming superior knowledge based on your own personal experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Tom,

Let's do it like this.....What would the commonality be between more or less maximal sets of 5 at 405 with complete rest periods, and sets of 5 at 385 with incomplete rests? What would the difference be?

I'm not trying to be a smart ass. I just find this type of process useful.

Andy
    Andy, I answered your questions awhile back. You seemed to be going somewhere with this? We've beaten this to death but I am still interested in where you were going.

What's your squat, age, body weight, and height? Fair questions because you are making a point based on your own personal experience. You mentioned earlier that your squat is 350...is that 1 rep max, 5 rep max, or a training weight you can do for 3 sets of 5? What's your deadlift, bench, press?
    38, 5,9, 230ish
    Three sets of five, one set for the deadlift
    SQ 350
    DL 385
    BP 225
    OHP 155

The squat got to be challenging after 315 or so.

Same questions to you, because you also sound like you are claiming superior knowledge based on your own personal experience.
    I havent claimed anything. I have just stated that you need to get outside and clear your head a bit since you are wasting your life. Weakling.

starting strength coach development program
    I havent claimed anything. I have just stated that you need to get outside and clear your head a bit since you are wasting your life. Weakling.
    “Running from your fear is more painful than facing it.” – Chuck Norris in The Hitman
    You've suggested I am not facing my fears, that I am not strong, and called me a weakling. So let's hear about you. How's your training going tough guy? How strong are you, that you are calling me weak? Tell us about the fears you've faced in the form of heavy barbells. Do you even lift, bro?

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast