starting strength gym
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: The Only Emphasis Is Strength | Mark Rippetoe

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturw View Post
    I havent claimed anything. I have just stated that you need to get outside and clear your head a bit since you are wasting your life. Weakling.
    Thank you all for your replies, much appreciated! This spring at approx. 89 kg 182 cm I had the following numbers

SQ 120 kg 3x3
    DL 150 kg 1x3
    Press 57 kg 3x3
    Bench 90 kg 3x3
    Chins 10,8,6
    PC 60 5x3
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! [sniff] AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Hang in there little bro. Someday you'll bench 2 plates. Just face your fears. I found the deadlift got pretty hard up around 405. Until you've done it you don't know what it's like.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    38, 5,9, 230ish
    Three sets of five, one set for the deadlift
    SQ 350
    DL 385
    BP 225
    OHP 155

The squat got to be challenging after 315 or so.
    Interesting. I am considerably stronger than you at everything but the squat.
    50, 6'6", 272ish
    SQ 325 (3 sets of 5)
    DL 435 (1 set of 5)
    BP 278 (5 sets of 3)
    OHP 180 (5 sets of 3)

Given that I am 6'6" and you are 5'9", I think it is fair to say that it is at least as challenging for me to squat 325 as for you to squat 350. (My numbers are not relevant to whether or not rip has endorsed hypertrophy work in the past. They are relevant to whether I am strong, familiar with hard heavy training, or a dumb weakling who doesn't want to work hard--not saying that you have said those things about me but many have in this thread.)

I could be a total dick about this and say things like, Try to get your deadlift to a "really challenging weight. This is one of those things that are tough to explain, you gotta experience it."
    The point everyone else is trying to make is that accessory work is not gonna do you much good until you get your squat to a really challenging weight. However, this is one of those things that are tough to explain, you gotta experience it.
    You may be right, that somehow getting my squat up 25 more pounds to 350 will suddenly make my legs blow up. The fact that I am stronger than you on every other core lift doesn't disprove that. It's also possible that my long and per rip shitty legs are just not going to grow much. Or maybe I need to get to 405. Or maybe at some point I would benefit from some focused hypertrophy work.

I was curious as to whether all those claiming superior knowledge on the basis that they have trained much heavier than I have, really are much stronger than me. So far the answer is no.

Quote Originally Posted by tompaynter View Post
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! [sniff] AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Hang in there little bro. Someday you'll bench 2 plates. Just face your fears. I found the deadlift got pretty hard up around 405. Until you've done it you don't know what it's like.
    Thats one year ago. And you just proved my point weakling. Goodbye.

Wow, dude, I was really only referring to your stated squat numbers, which you had stated earlier. This is why I asked you about your height and weight. With your weight, you would need a heavier squat than me to see leg growth, I guess around 405 or more. So if you keep pushing, they will double in size at some point. I will not get into the snarky attempts at insults and other shit, you seem like a guy who likes to pick fights on the internet. I will most likely stop increasing the deadlift once it hits 440 for a set of five, maybe work up to the fabled 500 for a single, because I can no longer scratch every part of my back even with a relatively weak deadlift. The bench and OHP are still going up, so why not, those don't make everything as huge.

You've suggested I am not facing my fears, that I am not strong, and called me a weakling. So let's hear about you. How's your training going tough guy? How strong are you, that you are calling me weak? Tell us about the fears you've faced in the form of heavy barbells. Do you even lift, bro?
    You haven’t yet told us your numbers but keep demanding ours? Go away you motherfucking troll

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Cox View Post
    You haven’t yet told us your numbers but keep demanding ours? Go away you motherfucking troll
    Yes, I did. Pay attention. So now you'll post yours? Also, temper temper.

Thats one year ago. And you just proved my point weakling. Goodbye.
    Ok what are they now little bro?

Wow, dude, I was really only referring to your stated squat numbers, which you had stated earlier. This is why I asked you about your height and weight. With your weight, you would need a heavier squat than me to see leg growth, I guess around 405 or more. So if you keep pushing, they will double in size at some point. I will not get into the snarky attempts at insults and other shit, you seem like a guy who likes to pick fights on the internet. I will most likely stop increasing the deadlift once it hits 440 for a set of five, maybe work up to the fabled 500 for a single, because I can no longer scratch every part of my back even with a relatively weak deadlift. The bench and OHP are still going up, so why not, those don't make everything as huge.
    I didn't insult you. I'm stronger than you by quite a bit overall, that's just a fact, not an insult. You weren't insulting to me, unlike some. But to the extent you suspected I don't or am afraid to train heavy, put that to rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Cox View Post
    I have to address this further. I came in here and asked a reasonable question about contradictions in the text of various articles posted by SS.* In response rip and forum members called me dumb, bad at reading, weak, and a coward who is afraid of heavy training. Everybody acted like they were sooooo much stronger than me and I just didn't know because I didn't train heavy. Now I am pushing back and I'M the motherfucking troll? Y'all sure do like to dish it out but you aren't too big on taking it.

*Contradictions rip eventually admitted were real and existed because he had changed his mind over the years.

I have to address this further. I came in here and asked a reasonable question about contradictions in the text of various articles posted by SS.* In response rip and forum members called me dumb, bad at reading, weak, and a coward who is afraid of heavy training. Everybody acted like they were sooooo much stronger than me and I just didn't know because I didn't train heavy. Now I am pushing back and I'M the motherfucking troll? Y'all sure do like to dish it out but you aren't too big on taking it.

*Contradictions rip eventually admitted were real and existed because he had changed his mind over the years.
    Tom, it's your gamma queer behaviour that is the problem here. I'm sorry you have crappy legs. That's genetics and there you go.

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    Tom, it's your gamma queer behaviour that is the problem here. I'm sorry you have crappy legs. That's genetics and there you go.
    Stef, if you want a date just ask. Fortune favors the bold you know.

starting strength coach development program
    Again, sarcasm detector. Get it fixed. It'll help you navigate social interactions better.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast