starting strength gym

Thread: Creatine and Weight Gain

Default Creatine and Weight Gain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm curious about creatine causing weight gain. I see references from people saying they gained weight when they started taking creatine. My experience is that I don't gain weight on creatine.

So I'm asking for people's experiences, do you gain weight on creatine or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Oso Rojo View Post
    I'm curious about creatine causing weight gain. I see references from people saying they gained weight when they started taking creatine. My experience is that I don't gain weight on creatine.

So I'm asking for people's experiences, do you gain weight on creatine or not?
    Had never used it before this year. Did a seven-day load before backing down to 7.5 g/day. Scale went up a little over four pounds in two weeks. I was eating like 2500cal at the time (YNDTP), so I attribute the weight gain to the creatine.

My experience is I only gain weight when I load (3-4 scoops a day). When I did that for 5 days I gained 10 lb of what was certainly 9 lb of water weight.

It does make you gain weight, but it is generally just water weight. It's not fat or anything. How much depends on the size you were to begin with I think.

If it's water gain, I wonder if it's water that the body wanted in the first place. I'm drinking over 100 oz a day at a body weight of 190 and don't notice a water gain. hmmm, I wonder if there is any scientific study on this.

It's been quite thoroughly studied. Look it up.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso Rojo View Post
    If it's water gain, I wonder if it's water that the body wanted in the first place. I'm drinking over 100 oz a day at a body weight of 190 and don't notice a water gain. hmmm, I wonder if there is any scientific study on this.
    Drinking a lot of straight water daily tends to diminish water retention. At least that's what I've found.