starting strength gym
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Best practices for falling asleep?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I’ve tried several different manufacturers of CBD products. Zero effect in terms of anything either awake or sleeping or in between. Expensive, but increasingly not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    Literally the first night as in once and only once in a lifetime?

Because one night, skip two or three, might not be a bad strategy.
    Once a month or maybe every couple of weeks would probably work. I have not experimented enough.

I just realized something, not sure I'm ready to unpack it yet, but... I don't think I've ever had a hard time falling asleep when I was out camping.

An option. Someone mentioned noise masking/ noise isolation.

Foam ear plugs can be very good at blocking sound. There is blue reusable putty that’s better still. The problem is these are a disorienting. You won’t hear the baby or an alarm. Maybe a smoke detector. Trade one stress for another? These are king for blocking snoring partner.

External noise generators are ok but need to be fairly loud . Some situations are ok. Plenty of online noises for backgrounds . Some programming to initiate and sustain sleep. Most pleasant solution. Won’t work for snoring partner.

Earbuds or head phones give a combination of noise isolation and sound masking depending on what you play. Most buds are two big for restless sleepers. Dozens of apps available. Could work for snoring if your willing to turn on loud.

The most innovative new thing is the Bose sleep buds. They just play a few dozen randomized loops of white noise, nature or soothing. They are very comfortable all night and stay in. A good combo of isolation and sound. They are expensive and don’t play anything but their loops.They are too small for general music(?).

The first gen failed but second gen pretty reliable. I think you can program to get or not get phone notifications.

Not a perfect sleep solution but usually gives an xtra hour for me.

At fairly high volume, will work for snoring partner.

Interestingly enough, I am told I snore like a sawmill, but none of the women who slept next to me has ever complained. I guess women don’t hear snoring or whatever. I know for a fact the lack of complaints on this case did not come from a high level of sexual gratification performed by the offending snorer.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Killmond View Post
    Not sarcastic at all--sounds like the two of us had a similar approach to 2020
    Dear Satch12879,

Coach Rippetoe was very complimentary of your posting on the forums in Starting Strength #168 (see 36:40, week before last):

Q&A Episode - Passing the Opt-In, Heat Exhaustion, and Rip Retiring | Starting Strength Radio #168 | Starting Strength Network

He wants you to come to the seminar!

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    Don't let it do that. Create a story, imagine a landscape, or whatever. Concentrate on a specific task.
    I do this. If you are stuck for inspiration, something I do sometimes is visualise my next workout - doing the sets and reps of the exercises I will be doing.

Also - don't visualise something that will annoy you. Pick something neutral but semi-interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by gadders View Post
    I do this. If you are stuck for inspiration, something I do sometimes is visualise my next workout - doing the sets and reps of the exercises I will be doing.

Also - don't visualise something that will annoy you. Pick something neutral but semi-interesting.
    I notice this tends to work for me.. sometimes. Sometimes I get myself "excited" and going down all sorts of rabbit holes in my mind.

An option. Someone mentioned noise masking/ noise isolation.

Foam ear plugs can be very good at blocking sound. There is blue reusable putty that’s better still. The problem is these are a disorienting. You won’t hear the baby or an alarm. Maybe a smoke detector. Trade one stress for another? These are king for blocking snoring partner.

External noise generators are ok but need to be fairly loud . Some situations are ok. Plenty of online noises for backgrounds . Some programming to initiate and sustain sleep. Most pleasant solution. Won’t work for snoring partner.

Earbuds or head phones give a combination of noise isolation and sound masking depending on what you play. Most buds are two big for restless sleepers. Dozens of apps available. Could work for snoring if your willing to turn on loud.

The most innovative new thing is the Bose sleep buds. They just play a few dozen randomized loops of white noise, nature or soothing. They are very comfortable all night and stay in. A good combo of isolation and sound. They are expensive and don’t play anything but their loops.They are too small for general music(?).

The first gen failed but second gen pretty reliable. I think you can program to get or not get phone notifications.

Not a perfect sleep solution but usually gives an xtra hour for me.

I read somewhere that Frank Zappa toward the end of his life slept in a very, very well controlled bedroom, effectively anechoic, because he was mixing so much and his hearing was starting to go. Thinking about this and my own just annoying enough tinnitus, I was playing around in my mind for a system that did noise cancellation on a larger scale, like in a whole room. You'd have a set of speakers and a few microphones along with a processor to do the phase reversal on the incoming signal, probably a safety limiter, and a bit of EQ and/or a soothing sounds generator.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    Interestingly enough, I am told I snore like a sawmill, but none of the women who slept next to me has ever complained. I guess women don’t hear snoring or whatever. I know for a fact the lack of complaints on this case did not come from a high level of sexual gratification performed by the offending snorer.
    Eastern Europe is truly a wild place.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Killmond View Post
    Dear Satch12879,

Coach Rippetoe was very complimentary of your posting on the forums in Starting Strength #168 (see 36:40, week before last):

Q&A Episode - Passing the Opt-In, Heat Exhaustion, and Rip Retiring | Starting Strength Radio #168 | Starting Strength Network

He wants you to come to the seminar!
    Rip is exceedingly kind. 45 is coming up in a few years. It'll probably be my birthday present to myself.

starting strength coach development program
    Take pregabalin or gabapentin. Also improves sleep architecture unlike most meds.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast