starting strength gym
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Best practices for falling asleep?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by gadders View Post
    I do this. If you are stuck for inspiration, something I do sometimes is visualise my next workout - doing the sets and reps of the exercises I will be doing.
    I do this too. I'm not imaginative enough to create and maintain calming scenarios in my tiny brain so using training, which is both interesting enough to keep in my thoughts and boring enough to put me to sleep, works well.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Killmond View Post
    Dear Satch12879,

Coach Rippetoe was very complimentary of your posting on the forums in Starting Strength #168 (see 36:40, week before last):

Q&A Episode - Passing the Opt-In, Heat Exhaustion, and Rip Retiring | Starting Strength Radio #168 | Starting Strength Network

He wants you to come to the seminar!
    That was an interesting bump.

Did Ryan ever solve his sleeping issues? I didn't see diet mentioned previously, ever fiddled with that? I know I can't get to sleep for about 3 hours post eating pasta.

I have no problem falling asleep.
    Wake up at 2 am mind racing about shit I can't do anything about.
    I've tried a lot of the above suggestions to get back to sleep.

This has been working well for me for months in a dark, quiet room:
    I am a back sleeper and I try to imagine [I]sinking [I] into the mattress completely relaxed. I think about nothing but the mattress and staying relaxed.
    Hell, it's worth a try at 2 am.

appropriate quote from unknown author:
    "the crack of dawn is typically just another signal I've laid awaek all night worrying about things I can't change"

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost and Found View Post
    I have no problem falling asleep.
    Wake up at 2 am mind racing about shit I can't do anything about.
    I've tried a lot of the above suggestions to get back to sleep.

This has been working well for me for months in a dark, quiet room:
    I am a back sleeper and I try to imagine [I]sinking [I] into the mattress completely relaxed. I think about nothing but the mattress and staying relaxed.
    Hell, it's worth a try at 2 am.

appropriate quote from unknown author:
    "the crack of dawn is typically just another signal I've laid awaek all night worrying about things I can't change"

Keep in mind that, before the invention of the electric lightbulb, split sleep was actually the norm. You would fall asleep at dusk, wake up for a few hours at night, and then fall asleep again until dawn. Unfortunately that doesn't fit in well with modern lifestyles. this is probably a minority opinion, but consider pharmaceuticals. A small dose of clonidine at 2am and you'll wake up with the sun feeling refreshed.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345