starting strength gym

Thread: Metallic Taste

Question Metallic Taste

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    In recent squat sessions I have experienced a metallic taste during my sets. Never had this before. What might be cause, any reason for concern?

Male 54 years old 5'4" 170lbs.
    Squats 290lbs...3 sets of 5 across.

Thanks,

It's probably from blood vessels bursting in your sinus. It's nothing to worry about. Just make sure that you're holding your breath in your throat and not in your mouth and it should resolve itself.

Does it taste like iron? Like blood?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Does it taste like iron? Like blood?
    Yes

Maybe your dental health needs some attention.

This seems like a dental/gum problem. Not a lifting problem.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

When my dog smells metallic it means his anal glands need to be expressed. Just sayin’.

Foud this info., so I'll answer my own question...According to an article by Dr. miller @ Ohio State University - Wexner Medical Center, it's called pulmonary edema.
    Increased pressure from the breath/brace causes excess hemoglobin released from the leaky red blood cells in the lungs to transport through the bronchi to the mouth. Once i this occurs, iron molecules come in contact with receptors on the tongue. These receptors then relay the message to the brain and sense a metallic taste, which can be perceived as blood or metal.

Thanks Rip, my dental health is just fine.

Yeah, thank god it's only pulmonary edema.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by KPayne View Post
    Foud this info., so I'll answer my own question...According to an article by Dr. miller @ Ohio State University - Wexner Medical Center, it's called pulmonary edema.
    Increased pressure from the breath/brace causes excess hemoglobin released from the leaky red blood cells in the lungs to transport through the bronchi to the mouth. Once i this occurs, iron molecules come in contact with receptors on the tongue. These receptors then relay the message to the brain and sense a metallic taste, which can be perceived as blood or metal.

Thanks Rip, my dental health is just fine.
    This is highly unlikely. Pulmonary edema severe enough to cause blood to reach the mouth / upper respiratory tract is a very severe condition mainly seen in patients with an acute exacerbation of congestive heart failure. Severely increased left ventricular end diastolic pressure, due to failing cardiac function, causes abnormally increased pressure in the pulmonary circulation which pushes liquid and some red blood cells into the small air sacs of the lungs. In addition, pulmonary edema of this severity would most likely leave you unable to breathe, since it messes up gas exchange. Overall, this is life threatening.

It is much more likely that sub optimal dental hygiene has resulted in a bit of inflammation in your gums that, when exposed to high blood pressure, bleeds a bit and causes a metallic taste. Dont take it the wrong way, lots of people brush their teeth but this here is most often caused by a lack of flossing (which some people, including myself during some periods, do not do regularly). In fact, i have experienced exactly this a few times when i have maintained my flossing poorly.