starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IJGTWOT | stef bradford

Default IJGTWOT | stef bradford

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    A statement often thrown around at the gym or in online discussions of training is "I'm just going to work on technique." It's one of two or three of those Things People Say that put me at risk of breaking my teeth.

Read article

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Well done stef! This is an excellent distillation of the problem with focusing on “technique” and even added a point that I hadn’t previously considered about the difference in technique as the COM changes. As I learned first-hand, the only way that a 3-plate squat became easy (and technique became flawless) was to add 50 lbs to it. Wasn’t it Rip who said “the weight is always heavy…you just get stronger.”

That was Rip.

Is this post partially referring to the psychological component of weightlifting? I think psychological limitations are the most underrated part of any programming. Some lifting days I work up to my prescribed weight for 3x5 for back squat and it feels like a mountain is on my back. I think this is partially because I'm not in the right mind-set and overthinking the weight, my form, if I can do it etc. The only way I've found to fix this problem is the opposite of the prescribed warm-up highlighted in the book. This is purely anecdotal and I'm sure I'll be laughed at but I find this method to work for not only the psychological aspect I suffer from, but I also think it "turns" on something inside my CNS in regards to muscle firing patterns (pure bro science bullshit I'm pulling out of my ass - but it works for me so pure bro science bullshit must be created to explain this).

If I find myself unable to get 5 reps at the "prescribed" weight for my first set of 3x5, I take my theoretical one rep max and load it on the bar. I then try to get 2 reps. I'm almost always successful at 1 rep, but cannot get the second rep. I've also tried this method only trying the one rep and it seems to have a similar effect. Using this method I've never not completed 2x5 at the "prescribed" weight for the workout. It's like butter. The bar feels weightless. My muscles are firing. My technique is much better. I'm mentally prepared for the battle.

Sounds like you aren't warmed up properly. Different people need different prep - more warmup volume, smaller jumps between warmups, different timing between warmups.

Almost every time I do a work set and it feels abnormally heavier than usual, it's because I'm slacking off somewhere in my set up. It's easy to get complacent with setting up for a lift, and forget just how uncomfortable a proper set up should be. I've turned many a "bad day" at the gym around just by reminding myself to set up properly.

The real problem is coming to the gym without a program. Or with some homemade or downloaded half-assed program that doesn't have accountability built in. With a real program from a real coach the only alternative to getting it done is grinding failure. Which should be very rare if your coach is paying attention.

In the words of the great drummer and great drum teacher Bernard Purdie, "Self-taught is for the birds."

J.D. Shipley is offline Owner, Starting Strength Houston

I'd like to know what the other one or two things are that put Stef at risk of breaking her teeth...

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. Shipley View Post
    I'd like to know what the other one or two things are that put Stef at risk of breaking her teeth...
    "[O]ne or two" is the joke part, JD.

Ray Gillenwater is offline Administrator, Starting Strength Gyms
    Starting Strength Coach

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    "[O]ne or two" is the joke part, JD.
    Whatever the number is, "interacting with customer support" is near the top of the list.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast