starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Strength Standards

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    You guys will enjoy your training a lot more when you stop being consumed about where you "should" be and just keep getting that weight up however you can (except by half repping and such, obviously). Everyone's different. Some of us are natural born athletes, some of us seem to be the farthest fucking thing possible from that without being crippled. Just keep improving.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Except they're a hundred pounds lighter.
    Is the math wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Oso Rojo View Post
    Is the math wrong?
    Under no circumstances is someone who can lift 310lb stronger than a person who can lift 410lbs. Age, sex, height, etc have nothing to do with it. The 410lb lifter is still stronger.
    Last edited by AndrewLewis; 08-24-2021 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Put in the wrong number originally
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Under no circumstances is someone who can lift 310lb stronger than a person who can lift 410lbs. Age, sex, height, etc have nothing to do with it. The 400lb squatter is still stronger.
    Now I'm really confused. Your statement is a confirmation of the definition of mass. How did we get to confusion of 310 lbs and 400lbs. This whole topic has gotten strange.

Is the math wrong?
    410 - 310 = 100.

Its quite simple, using numbers in the thread.

In terms of expectation:
    a 20 year old "should" be able to deadlift 405x5 in a year
    a 60 year old "should" be able to deadlift 310x5 in a year
    some will be more some will be less

In terms of outcome, lifting heavier is stronger (by definition). Applying scaling factors and the like is only useful for arbitrary competitions etc, but has no impact on how strong you actually are in real life.

In general, young adults start stronger and get stronger faster than those that are older. You still want to be as strong as possible (at least run out novice linear progression) even if it takes longer to progress.

Now I'm really confused. Your statement is a confirmation of the definition of mass. How did we get to confusion of 310 lbs and 400lbs. This whole topic has gotten strange.
    Sorry, I meant to say "410lb" in the second part. I edited the comment. See if that clears it up.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    410 - 310 = 100.
    Your doing different math. I'm calculating Logan1's comment;
    "The McCulloch coefficient for someone who is 60 is 1.34. Although there are other estimates, I think a reasonable adjustment for strength standards would be 75% of that of an open lifter."

So it's 300 * (100/75) = 400. It appears you are calculating the net difference between the two lifts.

Your doing different math. I'm calculating Logan1's comment;
    "The McCulloch coefficient for someone who is 60 is 1.34. Although there are other estimates, I think a reasonable adjustment for strength standards would be 75% of that of an open lifter."

So it's 300 * (100/75) = 400. It appears you are calculating the net difference between the two lifts.
    I understand what you did there, but that's not the point.

Our point is that 300lb is still 100lb less than 400lb no matter what anyone says.

starting strength coach development program
    Had a dude at the gym try to start an argument with me by claiming that a 165er pulling 500 was stronger than a 198er pulling 550. He knows how I feel about bodyweight coefficients, so I didn't take the bait. I just said that in terms of bodyweight ratios, an ant is 100x stronger than a gorilla, but I'd still rather be the silverback.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast