starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strength Standards

Default Strength Standards

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey guys,

what are strength standards for young guys with bad to decent genetics in their 20s? I've watched a video where Rip said that every athlete should be able to pull 405 off the floor. Does he mean for 5 reps or 1 rep? Theres a big difference as far as I know because a 5 rep max should be around 85% of your 1 rep max? (correct me if im wrong).

Don't worry about that stuff too much. Just keep get stronger.

However, I would say typically any given 20 year old who actually gave strength training a good attempt should be able to pull 405 for 5 in a year or less. This frequently doesn't happen because 20 year olds are not typically willing to eat the kind of food necessary to get strong.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

I would love to see some guidelines for older lifters. I'm 60, what should I squat, deadlift, etc. i understand I'm likely in a outlying demographic so there may not be any data, hahaha.

If you're even lifting at 60, you're doing a good job. If you're training, even better.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    If you're even lifting at 60, you're doing a good job. If you're training, even better.
    Well thank you. I look at my numbers and question if I'm getting anything done.

Quote Originally Posted by Oso Rojo View Post
    Well thank you. I look at my numbers and question if I'm getting anything done.
    "Comparison is the thief of joy."

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Don't worry about that stuff too much. Just keep get stronger.
    My first instinct was to type something to this tune in response, but I will just agree completely since it's already been said. Being consumed with where you think you SHOULD be is a recipe to demoralize you and keep you from getting to where you CAN be. Just keep the weight moving up.

Quote Originally Posted by Oso Rojo View Post
    I would love to see some guidelines for older lifters. I'm 60, what should I squat, deadlift, etc. i understand I'm likely in a outlying demographic so there may not be any data, hahaha.
    The McCulloch coefficient for someone who is 60 is 1.34. Although there are other estimates, I think a reasonable adjustment for strength standards would be 75% of that of an open lifter.

Quote Originally Posted by Logan1 View Post
    The McCulloch coefficient for someone who is 60 is 1.34. Although there are other estimates, I think a reasonable adjustment for strength standards would be 75% of that of an open lifter.
    Great, so my 310 work sets are like a young man's 410s!

starting strength coach development program
    Except they're a hundred pounds lighter.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast