Barbell Training: All You Need | Robert Baker Barbell Training: All You Need | Robert Baker

starting strength gym
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Barbell Training: All You Need | Robert Baker

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,473

    Default Barbell Training: All You Need | Robert Baker

    • starting strength seminar october 2021
    • starting strength seminar december 2021
    • starting strength seminar february 2022
    This article is about the bare-bones equipment needs for restoring the health, bone density and strength to new and aspiring Master Athletes, those over 40 years old, using the Starting Strength Method and anyone else interested in a home gym.

    Read article

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Just checked Craigslist in my area. It seems like the asking price for rack, bar, weights, and bench is about 1200 USD. Inflation? Fair price?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RayK View Post
    Just checked Craigslist in my area. It seems like the asking price for rack, bar, weights, and bench is about 1200 USD. Inflation? Fair price?
    There was always a 300lb set of weights and a barbell at dicks for under $300 until covid. Post covid things went crazy where I lived, but I was sick of sitting on my ass while gyms were closed and paid $1k for a barbell and 415lbs of weight, no rack. That sounds like a really good price if it comes with a decent amount of weight

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Location
    Winter Springs, FL
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnsonville View Post
    There was always a 300lb set of weights and a barbell at dicks for under $300 until covid. Post covid things went crazy where I lived, but I was sick of sitting on my ass while gyms were closed and paid $1k for a barbell and 415lbs of weight, no rack. That sounds like a really good price if it comes with a decent amount of weight
    The 300lb Fitness Gear set (255lbs weight + barbell) is back in stock at most Dick's locations here in Florida. Price is now $399. With gyms largely reopening, there are suddenly deals on used equipment again. Fringe Sport has their Garage Series power rack back in stock (under $500 with tax and shipping). There are plenty of benches available for cheap. Rep fitness has one for under $200. No dealing with used crap. As good or better as you will get in many commercial gyms. Get better stuff as it goes on sale. If you can afford it, I hear good things about the Starting Strength brand equipment!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EdTice View Post
    The 300lb Fitness Gear set (255lbs weight + barbell) is back in stock at most Dick's locations here in Florida. Price is now $399. With gyms largely reopening, there are suddenly deals on used equipment again. Fringe Sport has their Garage Series power rack back in stock (under $500 with tax and shipping). There are plenty of benches available for cheap. Rep fitness has one for under $200. No dealing with used crap. As good or better as you will get in many commercial gyms. Get better stuff as it goes on sale. If you can afford it, I hear good things about the Starting Strength brand equipment!
    Just a reminder, the Fitness Gear 45s are about 16.5" in diameter as I recall. And the barbell is garbage. There are better options out there.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    8

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the reply. I now realize that I asked a really stupid question by inquiring about used equipment prices. The prices and quality are all over the place. It seems like new equipment prices go up with quality in this order: Titan, Rep Fitness, Rogue, Starting Strength, with so many others like York still hanging in there. Since there are already so many equipment threads, I guess what I would really like to know is how much less should I pay for used gear on average? For example let's say a new Rep Fitness power rack goes for $600. Would the same model in scratched up but otherwise good used condition typically sell for half, 2/3, or 3/4 of that price. Of course you can always negotiate with anybody, but I really dislike lowballing somebody with an insultingly low offer. I'm also a cheap sob, and I'm putting my gym in a old barn so shiny new gear seems foolish. The market is tight right now so used stuff seems to be priced a bit high. Rep has no iron plates at all right now for example.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •