starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's Feast: An Open Letter To Vegans | Daniel Oakes

Default Let's Feast: An Open Letter To Vegans | Daniel Oakes

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    A few years ago I asked my then-coach a common question: “Our ancestors surely never ate 200g of protein per day – and certainly modern tribespeople aren't huge and jacked – so why do you recommend so much meat and dairy? Surely it's unnatural to eat that much?”

Read article

Modern hunter gatherers don't live as our ancestors did; I'm not convinced meat was more scarce than fruit -- and especially not relative to its caloric/nutritional value.

There's obviously going to be a wide variability in diet between different groups of hominids, but life is very tough for 'wild man/man-creatures'.

"Until the advent of modern processing technologies, dirt, grit, and fiber constituted a large part of most early diets."

What did our ancestors eat? - PubMed

Quote Originally Posted by DanielAcorn View Post
    "Until the advent of modern processing technologies, dirt, grit, and fiber constituted a large part of most early diets."
    Does dirt, grit and fiber have calories?

The rest of that abstract supports what I've said, claiming early humans were scavengers of animal carcasses. I've read that theory before; that humans would break open the bones of carcasses and eat the marrow inside. But no one knows what humans ate exactly, and as you said, there is was a wide variety between hominid groups. Still, I think it makes sense that animals were the primary nutritional source for most of those groups: Other primates that eat mostly vegetation have to spend many hours a day eating to just get enough calories, and they don't have a massive brain to feed. Modern vegans get around this issue by eating processed carbohydrates and vegetable oils.

I've known more than a few vegan chicks. Their veganism always gets little iffy whenever a roach or a big spider runs across the floor.

I'm clearly not educated enough on this subject. Maybe I shouldn't write articles on it, but they're fun to do and I learn from the comments so that's a plus!

I'm not educated on it either! I just like the subject so I commented.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielAcorn View Post
    I'm clearly not educated enough on this subject. Maybe I shouldn't write articles on it, but they're fun to do and I learn from the comments so that's a plus!
    The book Sapiens seems to suggest that early human diets were much better than what came with ‘civilisation’ and farmed grains.

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    A few years ago I asked my then-coach a common question: “Our ancestors surely never ate 200g of protein per day – and certainly modern tribespeople aren't huge and jacked – so why do you recommend so much meat and dairy? Surely it's unnatural to eat that much?”

Read article
    I had similar thoughts watching this…

Melissa Bachman Shoots Charging Bear - YouTube

Hunting keeps us honest.

But I don’t hunt. Yet.

starting strength coach development program
    'Protein is scarce in the wild' makes sense to me because protein usually has legs or wings. But the advent of the use of weapons changed everything in a big way. Hell, we hunted things to extinction.

Though, I do think protein is hard to obtain for some groups and some modern tribes. They probably do struggle to get 200g of protein per day (a skinny monkey in the jungle just won't do it). An Inuit probably gets far more protein however. They mainly eat ringed and bearded seal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast