starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Squat rack on its way, best use of time

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    Because since the starting strength novice linear progression program is primarily based on the squat, taking a week in which one will read and re-read the squat chapter as many times as possible is by far the best thing one can do for a successful program. I would even go further than that and suggest that the squat is the key to discovering the meaning of life. The other lifts are fine, but in order to do the program successfully, one needs a monk-like devotion to the squat. I can’t be the only one who understands this.
    We're supposed to be squatting?! Damn

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    Because since the starting strength novice linear progression program is primarily based on the squat, taking a week in which one will read and re-read the squat chapter as many times as possible is by far the best thing one can do for a successful program. I would even go further than that and suggest that the squat is the key to discovering the meaning of life. The other lifts are fine, but in order to do the program successfully, one needs a monk-like devotion to the squat. I can’t be the only one who understands this.
    Because it would be nice to get his deadlift up as soon as possible. Sitting around isn’t better than doing something that isn’t the program when it’s all you have. I get what you are saying but you’re also doing the whole ss dogma thing. Come on man! (I do highly respect you from the covid thread though)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsonville View Post
    I get what you are saying but you’re also doing the whole ss dogma thing. Come on man!
    False. He's giving his opinion, as requested by the guy who can't decide on his own what to do. Drop the silly use of inappropriate labels.

Quote Originally Posted by mangen View Post
    In my experience, this is just about the worst thing anyone can do. Next worst, too light of weights.

You can think you have good form with light weights when it is shit. Put enough weight on the bar to "force" you to have some semblance of the correct form.

Better yet, get a coaching session to determine proper starting weights.

Read the book every night. Reread it. You will find something new in it every time you read it as you progress through NLP.
    I actually agree with you. I've always felt you need a certain amount of weight before you can starting getting the technique. I remember doing empty bar olympic lifts and it always felt wrong. You don't need full extension on the 3rd pull to clean an empty bar, and you just end up doing weird stuff like having to purposely slow the bar down which you would never do with a "real" lift. I'm probably saying this wrong from a technical coaching perspective but "you need enough weight on the bar such that you have to start getting the technique right."

I am planning to set up some remote coaching once the rack is set up, unless I can find someone local but I am not aware of anyone other than my old coach who is off doing other things these days. If anyone knows someone in the area of Kingston, Ontario, I'm all ears. Closest SS is Boston. And hey, I would be very happy to ride my motorcycle to Boston for a weekend of coaching. Once our illustrious leaders figure out the border. You'd think a NEXUS card would be worth something ...

Thanks everyone for the feedback. following asm44's suggestion, I'm doing the following until the rack arrives, which should be soon as it is in Toronto now: press (p.cleaning the bar obviously), deadlifts, and p.clean at each "workout", and doing that every two days. "workout" in scare quotes b/c the weights are light (but heavy enough to matter) while I (re)read the books, review the vids, and practice technique.

Once the rack is set up I'll review my coaching options. No nearby SS coaches / gyms. There is a local guy I used to train with who started his own gym. It's crossfit style stuff but he himself does (or did) competitive powerlifting. Haven't spoken to him in ages but he's someone I would trust.

Or maybe Boston SS can do remote coaching.

Open to suggestions.

And submitted without comment: LIFT. HEAVY. WEIGHT. (Strength Training vs. CrossFit, Functional Fitness & Everything Else) - YouTube

Yes, drumboots, the gyms offer online coaching. Here is is through the Boston portal specifically: https://boston.startingstrengthgyms.com/online-coaching

starting strength coach development program
    Thx for the link.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12