starting strength gym

Thread: Confused novice

Default Confused novice

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    6’3 240 pounds 21 years old

Squatting 325 for 5, deadlift 405 for 5 (with ease) and bench 250 for 5.

Haven’t really done any full on strength training I’ve achieved these numbers with “brute strength” if you will (not that strong, but not much experience either).

I’ve read that these numbers are approaching intermediate status, but my brain is telling me that I should keep on with the novice programming. Am I correct in thinking this way? I’ve only been doing the novice programming for 2 weeks.

There are no "intermediate status" numbers per se. Level of training advancement is based upon the ability to add weight on the bar within a given amount of time between workouts.

Your instincts are correct; however, "brute strength" or not, you may have chosen starting weights that are too heavy.

Have you read the book(s)?

Go to the gym and try to get 3x5 on squat with your best weight, 3x5 on bench press with your best and finally try to get your best 5s on the deadlift (just one set here), rest two days and go back to the gym to try to add at least 1,25 kg to each lift. It´s not so hard. And it works.

Damn, you must have grown up on a farm lifting horses overhead or something like that.

As for the question, I believe Rip has recommended to do basic novice programming so long as it works and you are adding 5 lbs on the bar (or 2.5 for the upper body lifts) every workout.

Have you read the book(s)?

starting strength coach development program
    Dear Confused, this video: Ask Rip #17 - #AskRip Video Series - YouTube from the Starting Strength Youtube channel should enlighten you with respect to the terms "novice" and "intermediate" and how they are used to describe a lifter's progress and how one adapts to stress.
    Rip's explanation begins at 2:26 in the video. It should begin at that point if you follow the link I posted.