starting strength gym

Thread: Wide bench pad and failed lift

Default Wide bench pad and failed lift

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi all,
    I have been using the standard 12 inch bench for my entire lifting journey, pre-SS, NLP, and through intermediate programming.
    I recently purchased a wide pad that is 14 inches as it is billed as easier on the shoulders. I am 51 years old and have had a previous shoulder surgery due to my previous life in the Army and thought this might be a good move at injury prevention.

I used it for the first time today and I failed my second and third sets of Bench for my work set. I have previously hit these numbers with relative ease. I am just curious if anyone has had a similar experience and knows if the wider pad restricts some muscle usage, leverage or just takes some getting use to.

Thanks!
    MG

Quote Originally Posted by Gunric View Post
    Hi all,
    I have been using the standard 12 inch bench for my entire lifting journey, pre-SS, NLP, and through intermediate programming.
    I recently purchased a wide pad that is 14 inches as it is billed as easier on the shoulders. I am 51 years old and have had a previous shoulder surgery due to my previous life in the Army and thought this might be a good move at injury prevention.

I used it for the first time today and I failed my second and third sets of Bench for my work set. I have previously hit these numbers with relative ease. I am just curious if anyone has had a similar experience and knows if the wider pad restricts some muscle usage, leverage or just takes some getting use to.

Thanks!
    MG
    Yes, the SS Bench, which I own and use, may be the answer. After using it you will never go back to a cushioned bench regardless of width. The narrow width seems to allow a better range of motion.

Yep, the wider the bench the harder it is to retract the scapula and set your upper back into a stable pressing position. Same with floor press.