starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Depression and Training II: An Update on Testosterone Therapy | Andrew Lewis

Default Depression and Training II: An Update on Testosterone Therapy | Andrew Lewis

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    In June of 2018, I wrote an article about strength training and depression. Rip and I talked after I submitted the article, and I got my testosterone checked as a result...I didn't think I needed testosterone treatment, because I had improved mentally a lot over the last two years, but I wanted to check just to know.

Read article

SSRI withdrawal is no joke. I'm sorry your doctor was ignorant of that fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    Oh hell yeah. I've managed to get myself stable on a minimal dose of mine, but if I go any further I get the bad shit, and I'm not in a spot right now where I can try to tough out going off it. I am not exploring TRT right now because although it's not a bonafide fertility killer, it can cause issues with it and I don't want to go on it just to have to go off to conceive children. After kids are all conceived, I'll definitely be looking into it. For now I take the clomiphene, it seems to have helped. Hell, I even have chest hair now. I wish there were some way to identify and remedy whatever the hell is causing T levels to drop off so bad. I feel society as a whole is suffering because of it.

Effexor, man I hated that stuff. Sweated like Niagara Falls, which made wearing a suit to work very expensive due to the dry cleaning bills.

I also had a run out on Lexapro and gained about 40lbs in a month or so, had to buy all new clothes.

My psychiatrist never weaned me off either of the above, he just dropped the medication and we went on to another...till we found that Wellbutrin worked reasonably well.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    I wish there were some way to identify and remedy whatever the hell is causing T levels to drop off so bad. I feel society as a whole is suffering because of it.
    It's possible that we're just identifying it more now than ever before. Like autism in the 90s. Prevalence hasn't gone up - our detection of it has.

I'm not saying that's the case. I'm just hypothesizing.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    It's possible that we're just identifying it more now than ever before. Like autism in the 90s. Prevalence hasn't gone up - our detection of it has.

I'm not saying that's the case. I'm just hypothesizing.
    They've been keeping track of serum testosterone concentrations in men for some time now. I don't have a link handy, but there has been a steady decline over time.

And SSRI meds are no joke either. they almost ruined me

Every doctor I have ever spoken to has mentioned there are no withdrawals symptoms or serious side effects from any of the various SSRI they have tried to prescribe me or people I know, and boy are they ever eager to prescribe that shit. But because I lift weights at a relatively unimpressive but visibly noticeable level, the first health question they usually ask me about is often steroid or supplement use.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    Oh hell yeah. I've managed to get myself stable on a minimal dose of mine, but if I go any further I get the bad shit, and I'm not in a spot right now where I can try to tough out going off it. I am not exploring TRT right now because although it's not a bonafide fertility killer, it can cause issues with it and I don't want to go on it just to have to go off to conceive children. After kids are all conceived, I'll definitely be looking into it. For now I take the clomiphene, it seems to have helped. Hell, I even have chest hair now. I wish there were some way to identify and remedy whatever the hell is causing T levels to drop off so bad. I feel society as a whole is suffering because of it.
    I don't think TRT causes fertility issues--I would say the opposite actually because you will have more sex. If you are super concerned about it, you can add HCG. I wouldn't wait years to have kids to add it if you need it now.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    Every doctor I have ever spoken to has mentioned there are no withdrawals symptoms or serious side effects from any of the various SSRI they have tried to prescribe me or people I know, and boy are they ever eager to prescribe that shit. But because I lift weights at a relatively unimpressive but visibly noticeable level, the first health question they usually ask me about is often steroid or supplement use.
    I mean, it's common enough that the have a name for it: Antidepressant Discontinuation Syndrome. Not something I want to do again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast