starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does my body tell me it doesn't like Strength Training?

Default Does my body tell me it doesn't like Strength Training?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have a weird question for you. First of all, I'm 45yo male, taking antihypertensive med (5mg Amlodipine) daily for my blood pressure. I'm also having only one kidney now as the other one was removed due to having cancer in it. My goal is to lose weight (I'm 6ft6in, 230lbs now and want to ideally be at 200lb). I've been doing starting strength on and off, I'm up to 165lb squat, 185lb deadlift and 140lb bench press.

Today, after I worked out with the above weights, I felt a bit strange, so decided to take blood pressure measurement. I was at 140/90. Not terrible but not good for me as I'm normally 120/80. I then went for a jog/easy run at around 12 min/mile pace, for 3.12 mi (5k), breathing only through my nose the entire time, and my BP came down and stayed between 112-120/70s range. Much better than a few hours post workout.

As far as eating today, I skipped breakfast and had chicken soup for lunch, with some rye bread and slices of ham.

So, here is my question. It seems that my body is telling me to stick to cardio rather than strength. Is this how you'd interpret it?

This is almost surely a troll.

can we play with him ?

Likely, but it's the lowest of low to fake cancer, even in a troll post.

OP, just in case you're just ignorant rather than a first rate ahole, you should buy the blue book (read it to become less ignorant) and do the program as outlined.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ23 View Post
    Likely, but it's the lowest of low to fake cancer, even in a troll post.

OP, just in case you're just ignorant rather than a first rate ahole, you should buy the blue book (read it to become less ignorant) and do the program as outlined.
    I don’t consider myself a troll, just sharing my observation about my body. I am generally sedentary, with a typical step count of less than 2500/ day. After I started running/jogging the steps increased and I feel more relaxed after the runs.

Believe me, I wish I could be just as relaxed after lifting.

Thinking more about this, I suspect my breathing affects my blood pressure. Running forces my breathing pattern to be more relaxing (I have no choice in it as we cannot really control our breathing while running, it will follow a rhythm and I breathe through the nose in and out while running).

Post a video of your squat or deadlift and we'll have a better idea if you are being serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Broggi View Post
    Post a video of your squat or deadlift and we'll have a better idea if you are being serious.
    I sent a link to the imgur account. All of the videos are from today

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Well, coach, I learn best from viewing the squat videos. It seems that even people that have squatted for a while still benefit from correction. I came here with a vulnerable stance. I grant that I’m not going to be a champ anytime soon. I have a dilemma with my blood pressure and I want to be more fit to hopefully resolve the issue.

As I mentioned, I’m 6’6”, with 36in long inseam pants. I’d imagine this doesn’t make squatting any easier.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast