starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Throwing up

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Weird
    I threw up again during todays workout however it was just water I don’t drink that much water during the day though less than a liter during school and I don’t get through my 500ml water bottle during the squats sets I also had about 200 ml with my pre workout, could I have thrown up because of dehydration and if so how much water should I drink.

I think you enjoy throwing up. Some people do. You have given yourself the idea that throwing up is associated with training. Unlearn that.

If you're not a troll, I think that you should see a doctor. If you are a troll, you should see a doctor - different doctor though.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I think you enjoy throwing up. Some people do. You have given yourself the idea that throwing up is associated with training. Unlearn that.
    If so how do I unlearn it?

You simply stop giving yourself permission to puke as a regular feature of a workout. There is no reason to puke unless you have food poisoning or some other pathology that requires you to empty your stomach. It's a learned behavior, and you can make yourself not do it.

Assuming you're not a troll, I want to verify: You mean vomited as in emptied your stomach contents or is there a translation error and you mean gagged, retched, or convulsed? If I train early in the morning and have just eaten, even a light breakfast, I have a tendency to gag. Humidity seems to worsen it, for some reason, and any fans blowing in my face will trigger it badly. Antacids sometimes help and Afrin, to get rid of any post nasal drip, helps the most. That said, I have never actually vomited. This almost always happens during the warm up sets when I hit about 225 on the squat. The first rep at working weight seems to immediately cure it and I'll no longer have a problem at all. I've read that a valsalva can help calm the vagus nerve, and I've just assumed that with a heavier squat weight the valsalva is more effective. Whether that's bullshit or not, I simply don't know.

I've vomited from other forms of intense exercise in the past, but never lifting. I'm going to be nice and assume this isn't a weird troll for the interests of potentially helping someone. Are you running the program as written, and without any weird alterations? What I'd particularly be looking for is if you are taking really short rests between sets or even supersetting the lifts somehow. Whenever I got nauseous exercising in the past, it was always when I was relentlessly working the entire body without any real breaks. Other than that, I'd be suspicious of the pre workout. I've never used them myself, but I've heard of people barfing after taking too much of one before a workout. If you need to feel less tired, a simple caffeine hit should do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    I've vomited from other forms of intense exercise in the past, but never lifting. I'm going to be nice and assume this isn't a weird troll for the interests of potentially helping someone. Are you running the program as written, and without any weird alterations? What I'd particularly be looking for is if you are taking really short rests between sets or even supersetting the lifts somehow. Whenever I got nauseous exercising in the past, it was always when I was relentlessly working the entire body without any real breaks. Other than that, I'd be suspicious of the pre workout. I've never used them myself, but I've heard of people barfing after taking too much of one before a workout. If you need to feel less tired, a simple caffeine hit should do the trick.
    Damn... Didn't even think about the pre-workout. That stuff can be rough on a sensitive gut. It's real popular now for the kiddies to "take it straight to the dome," meaning they pour a whole scoop of powder in their mouth and drink a sip of water just to wet it. I bet that's hell on even a cast iron stomach.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    I’m resting 6-8 mins

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank_B View Post
    Damn... Didn't even think about the pre-workout. That stuff can be rough on a sensitive gut. It's real popular now for the kiddies to "take it straight to the dome," meaning they pour a whole scoop of powder in their mouth and drink a sip of water just to wet it. I bet that's hell on even a cast iron stomach.
    Caffeine is very difficult on the stomach. I cannot consume it without food or I will get acid reflux and it's the only time I get acid reflux. I have no idea how much is in the pre-workout. And I have no idea why somebody would consume pre-workout before lifting weights. Nothing in there is going to help you lift any more weight. I promise you are not depleting your glycogen stores. If you really want to drink something before you lift weights, maybe try a glass of milk so that the protein will digest by the time you are done. But don't eat cream cheese even though it's made of milk. Because then you will surely continue to throw up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast