starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Throwing up

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahmedwueru View Post
    I’m resting 6-8 mins
    Okay, so try ditching the pre workout. If you need to perk up a bit before lifting after a day of work or something, a caffeine pill should do fine. They are cheap as hell and you can have one with just about any drink, including a nice, non-offensive glass of water. Never gotten barfy from one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by EdTice View Post
    Caffeine is very difficult on the stomach. I cannot consume it without food or I will get acid reflux and it's the only time I get acid reflux. I have no idea how much is in the pre-workout. And I have no idea why somebody would consume pre-workout before lifting weights. Nothing in there is going to help you lift any more weight. I promise you are not depleting your glycogen stores. If you really want to drink something before you lift weights, maybe try a glass of milk so that the protein will digest by the time you are done. But don't eat cream cheese even though it's made of milk. Because then you will surely continue to throw up.
    I don't mess with that stuff. Caffeine works well for endurance sports, from what I understand, but I've never noticed a benefit lifting weights. I actually find bacon, eggs, toast and a salad about two hours prior to be the perfect meal for me. As long as I have about two hours for it to digest, I have no ill effects whatsoever. I'm not going to lie... A triple cheeseburger works really well too.

Caffeine works just fine before training, whether endurance or strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_B View Post
    I don't mess with that stuff. Caffeine works well for endurance sports, from what I understand, but I've never noticed a benefit lifting weights. I actually find bacon, eggs, toast and a salad about two hours prior to be the perfect meal for me. As long as I have about two hours for it to digest, I have no ill effects whatsoever. I'm not going to lie... A triple cheeseburger works really well too.
    How much caffeine are you taking? You should be noticing a difference.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    How much caffeine are you taking? You should be noticing a difference.
    I drink a cup of black coffee during the workweek on days where I have to wake up, eat, and train. I keep it really light because the caffeine does mess with the gag reflex. On my work days off, if I’m training (my workweek rotates), I’ll have 2-3 cups in the morning, but I’ll wait a few hours prior to training. Heavy caffeine in the morning and I’ll gag in the bottom of the squat.

I convulsed once with 350 pounds on my back after unracking once. I pulled something in my back/rib that hurt like hell for a few weeks. I still finished the set. After the first heavy working rep it always disappears.

Start drinking better coffee. If I drank Folgers, I would puke too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Start drinking better coffee. If I drank Folgers, I would puke too.
    I don't drink that swill! I actually like the taste of Death Wish Coffee. It has some of the highest caffeine content per cup of any other coffee, and I personally like the taste. I like a dark roast served black. Any other suggestions?

Learn more about coffee.

Sweet Maria's Home Coffee Roasting

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Learn more about coffee.

Sweet Maria's Home Coffee Roasting
    Thanks, Rip! Always learning something new around here.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahmedwueru View Post
    If so how do I unlearn it?
    Probably need to see a video of your training in order to help you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123