Thread: Texas Method Cycle #2 Projections

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by EL_lifts View Post
    Weight 175lbs
    Height 5'4"
    Age 32

not sure if this helps with your assessment. also where would i begin the novice program if these are my current numbers for my volume and intensity day?
    You have not read the fucking book, or alternatively, you do not understand what you have read.

Just read the book, man. It is a good read.

not sure if this helps with your assessment. also where would i begin the novice program if these are my current numbers for my volume and intensity day?
    Thank you for posting age, height and weight when requested. If you have done (not estimated) a 1RM at 375 for deadlift and 325 for squat at a 175 bodyweight, then you have made a good start (exceeds the standard: 1.75x bodyweight squat, 2x bodyweight deadlift).

Definitely read the books cover to cover. Novice programming is detailed in Practical Programming for Strength Training, p. 86-98. Perform as written!

That being said, since you are fairly young, additional progress may very well be possible using the novice linear progression (NLP), as referred to above. Certainly, especially if you have never done it before, it would make sense to try NLP, rather than 20 weeks of Texas method and 30 weeks of cycling through a different exotic program.

Don't worry about starting weights. I doubt you would need to re-set your starting weights more than 10% below your current volume day number. That would mean volume squat is currently 285, no need to start more than 10% below that (255); volume bench is 250, no need to go below 225; if you can pull a deadlift single of 375, a set of 5 at 335 should be O.K. Any issues with starting too low would be solved quickly. If you workout three times a week, going up 5 pounds a workout, as the NLP prescribes, even if your squat started too low, you hopefully will add 50 pounds in less than a month (deadlifting every other workout would get it to 400 for reps by Christmas).

Good luck!

Thank you so much for the reply. I am very grateful. Will go back and reread the literature for sure. So much esoteric knowledge in there

Esoteric? Barbell training is esoteric?

feels like it at times for me yeah

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Esoteric? Barbell training is esoteric?
    Maybe "Rare Truths"

starting strength coach development program
    feels like it at times for me yeah
    thats because you havent read the fucking book

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12