starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Texas Method Cycle #2 Projections

Default Texas Method Cycle #2 Projections

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I want to say I love the lStarting Strength book. I am currently on intermediate Texas method and it has done wonders for me. I am still what I consider on a linear progression and perhaps maybe newb gains? I began powerlifting and revolving my training around the barbell about 12-13 months ago. Priory to any barbell training I did strictly calisthenics for a few years. I am just completing the first 20 week Texas method cycle after doing three 10 week cycles of a Russian training program of essentially PPL six days a week.

My current intensity/ 1RM ended with as follows
    Squat - 325
    Bench - 280
    Deadlift - 375

My current volume Day ended with as follows for 5x4, since I had to reduce some of the volume as the weight has gone up
    Squat - 285
    Bench - 250

I know my nervous system is getting to the point of linear progression not being possible from week to week anymore, but I don’t see anywhere in the literature where it suggests where to set your 1RM for the next 20 week cycle. I was thinking I should be conservative as far as setting realistic PR’s. I look at my training pretty far into the future even a couple years ahead so I have the willingness to take my time. Can anyone give me advice on where my 1RM should be at the end of my 2nd 20 week cycle of the Texas method on those lifts. Thank you for those who read this and for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by EL_lifts View Post
    I want to say I love the lStarting Strength book. I am currently on intermediate Texas method and it has done wonders for me. I am still what I consider on a linear progression and perhaps maybe newb gains? I began powerlifting and revolving my training around the barbell about 12-13 months ago. Priory to any barbell training I did strictly calisthenics for a few years. I am just completing the first 20 week Texas method cycle after doing three 10 week cycles of a Russian training program of essentially PPL six days a week.
    This is ridiculous. You haven't read the book, at all. The Texas Method isn't in the "Starting Strength book."

I meant Practical Programming. I’m confusing the books. My bad

You haven't read either one.

Lol why do you think that? I have both physical copies on my desk right now I am staring at them. I haven’t read either in its entirety. I’ve read the first half of SS and Practical Programming I’ve read up to Texas Method where intensity day fluctuates between waves of 5RM 3RM 1RM. So I don’t want to read ahead since I’m not anywhere near advanced. Thanks for the quick response I really appreciate them

Lol why do you think that?
    Because of this string of gibberish:

I am currently on intermediate Texas method and it has done wonders for me. I am still what I consider on a linear progression and perhaps maybe newb gains? I began powerlifting and revolving my training around the barbell about 12-13 months ago. Priory to any barbell training I did strictly calisthenics for a few years. I am just completing the first 20 week Texas method cycle after doing three 10 week cycles of a Russian training program of essentially PPL six days a week.

What is gibberish about it? I am giving a brief synopsis of where my journey began in strength training. Unfortunately my training did not begin on your novice program, my journey is different than yours. In Practical Programming the literature says, "The next step for the trainee at this point is to attempt to run out the Texas Method again. Our hypothetical lifter would essentially repeat the approximately 20-week process...". I am humbly asking for help here on where my cycle should end based on my weight I provided above in the original thread. Thank you.

It's important to understand that the programs detailed in Practical Programming are just examples of things that happened, not a detailed description of what you should do. The point of the Texas Method is to exploit a weekly stress-recovery-adaptation cycle for as long as possible once you have run the novice program. There is no projected 1RM, it's just wherever things stop working.

You are almost certainly a novice. This is good because you have some runway left to make progress a lot faster than you have been. Finish reading the whole book and then run the novice program.

Apply yourself.

What is gibberish about it? I am giving a brief synopsis of where my journey began in strength training. Unfortunately my training did not begin on your novice program, my journey is different than yours. In Practical Programming the literature says, "The next step for the trainee at this point is to attempt to run out the Texas Method again. Our hypothetical lifter would essentially repeat the approximately 20-week process...". I am humbly asking for help here on where my cycle should end based on my weight I provided above in the original thread. Thank you.
    If your 1 RM squat is 325 after running the Texas Method for 20 weeks, you had no business doing the Texas Method in the first place. You were and still are a novice*, unless any of the following applies to you:
    - You are a female;
    - Your BW would lead a reasonable person to assume you are a female (i.e. 120 lbs); and/or
    - You are over 65 years old.

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you

Weight 175lbs
    Height 5'4"
    Age 32

not sure if this helps with your assessment. also where would i begin the novice program if these are my current numbers for my volume and intensity day?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast