starting strength gym

Thread: My blood pressure question and concerns!

Default My blood pressure question and concerns!

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello everybody! So quick and to the point. I went to the doctor yesterday and over the last 5 years my blood pressure has been consistently around 135/68. I am 6'3" and 230lbs. According to my BMI (which is BS) i am borderline obese and I think the doctor was generically going off of that. I would say Im probably about 10-12% body fat and actually really fit. I workout everyday and combine both cardio and weight training during the week. The doctor said I should lose 20 lbs to get my blood pressure into the more "satisfactory" range. I don't understand why my systolic is high while my diastolic is in the reasonable range. I am doing all the right things I don't smoke, drink, I eat really well (for the most part) and my blood profile came back really well LDL: x<100.

Any thoughts? or similar experiences!

Thank you!

This is entirely your fault for paying any attention to an idiotic recommendation such as this. Stop going to the doctor unless you need surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by gallaghd View Post
    I don't understand why my systolic is high while my diastolic is in the reasonable range.
    Probably because you were considering breaking his teeth.

BP is variable, 99.9999999% of offices take the measurement incorrectly (not enough time at rest to settle it, taking it while you're talking, using the wrong cuff size, dropping the mercury too fast and so on), 99.9999999999% fail to take multiple measurements on the body and over time to establish any need for any intervention at all.

The only good thing about your guy is that he at least did not try to immediately put you on the BigPharma subscription plan.

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    Probably because you were considering breaking his teeth.

BP is variable, 99.9999999% of offices take the measurement incorrectly (not enough time at rest to settle it, taking it while you're talking, using the wrong cuff size, dropping the mercury too fast and so on), 99.9999999999% fail to take multiple measurements on the body and over time to establish any need for any intervention at all.

The only good thing about your guy is that he at least did not try to immediately put you on the BigPharma subscription plan.
    So much this, OP.

The only office where I am consistently high is at my doctor's office (dental, etc., are always just fine). It's probably because they consistently get around to seeing me late, then rushing me to the exam room and barraging me with questions before they slip the cuff on.

If you still want to see the doc, just buy a home kit and start tracking your morning values. As soon as you say "that's odd, it's usually xxx/yy, and your value only happens here," they shut up.

Been through this and I’m of a similar size. Was 6’2”, 220 pounds once. Doc said I was overweight. I dropped 50 pounds running and swimming and biking because doctors are really smart. Guess how much my blood pressure changed? 10 points. 10 points for the worse… I put the weight back on with Starting Strength, lost the 10 bad points, and actually hit a sweet spot in my LP that had me stabilized at 120/80 with medication. I put on some extra weight to get my deadlift up, and that did mess my BP numbers up a bit.

Your doctor is an idiot. Find a different doctor and maybe get a prescription for an ACE or ARB inhibitor. ACE inhibitors are very effective with me but cause a dry cough, so I take an ARB inhibitor (Valsartan), instead. You may just need a low dose to get you right.

Quote Originally Posted by gallaghd View Post
    Hello everybody! So quick and to the point. I went to the doctor yesterday and over the last 5 years my blood pressure has been consistently around 135/68. I am 6'3" and 230lbs. According to my BMI (which is BS) i am borderline obese and I think the doctor was generically going off of that. I would say Im probably about 10-12% body fat and actually really fit. I workout everyday and combine both cardio and weight training during the week. The doctor said I should lose 20 lbs to get my blood pressure into the more "satisfactory" range. I don't understand why my systolic is high while my diastolic is in the reasonable range. I am doing all the right things I don't smoke, drink, I eat really well (for the most part) and my blood profile came back really well LDL: x<100.

Any thoughts? or similar experiences!

Thank you!
    Was this measured with an oscillometric cuff or a sphygmomanometer? When was the last time the instrument was calibrated? What time of day was it measured? Did you maintain good posture during the measurement? How long were you rested before he started inflating the cuff? Were your feet flat on the floor and uncrossed? Was your elbow in full extension? All these things matter despite him not discussing them with you.

And another of my favorites - the person taking the measurement insists on having a full-on conversation, expecting answers, while they are taking the reading. Even when they know that the simple act of talking impacts the reading.

starting strength coach development program
    Blood pressure guidelines changed in 2017.

"...If you didn't have high blood pressure before, there's a good chance you do now...."

Source: Reading the new blood pressure guidelines - Harvard Health