starting strength gym

Thread: Single vs Double Ply Belt

Default Single vs Double Ply Belt

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am planning to buy a new belt and figured I would purchase a Starting Strength belt; it seems to be the highest quality belt. I was wondering if a single or double ply belt would be better for me. I have been training a few years and am well passed the novice phase. I have been using a belt like below and have been able to get by with it, but know its time to get something that will last and give me better performance. I would think my current belt is similar to a single ply in function which would make a double seem better, but I have no way to be sure because I have not used another belt.

poop belt.jpg

You'll really like the double-ply SS belt. If you don't, I'll buy it from you. We need another one at the gym anyway.

You can't go wrong with the double-ply, especially with Rip's offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You'll really like the double-ply SS belt. If you don't, I'll buy it from you. We need another one at the gym anyway.
    Rip made the exact same offer to me. Sorry, Rip, you can't have my SS belt. And Kempton, I guarantee you won't want to sell him yours either.

I own both. I think they're on sale for black Friday. I like the single ply for deadlifts. I think it feels better but it's probably just in my head. I use the double for squat/bench/press.
    At first, either belt will probably be uncomfortable for you because they are actually sturdy so don't be surprised if you get some pinching in your fat rolls, but it goes away.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ23 View Post
    I own both. I think they're on sale for black Friday. I like the single ply for deadlifts. I think it feels better but it's probably just in my head. I use the double for squat/bench/press.
    At first, either belt will probably be uncomfortable for you because they are actually sturdy so don't be surprised if you get some pinching in your fat rolls, but it goes away.
    I use my double-ply for both squats and deadlifts, but when pulling, I swing the buckle around to my back because otherwise, yeah, it's a bit too bulky to allow me to get in the correct starting position.

Belts came on Wednesday. Girlfriend tried hers yesterday and I tried mine today. This was a huge game changer for me, especially on deadlift. My girlfriend complained that it dug into her upper ribs when deadlifting, any idea on how to correct this? I assume it is just not broken in properly yet.

It's possible it's too wide for her, what's her size? Having a real high quality belt will definitely dig in compared to that Velcro junk or cheaper leather. This goes away as it breaks in.

J.D. Shipley is offline Owner, Starting Strength Houston

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ23 View Post
    Same here, minus the bench. I use a 3" single ply for deadlifting - I find that it's thin enough to not interfere with setting my back. I've tried pulling without a belt but just can't seem to get tight enough to properly brace with a heavy weight. I have a 4" double ply for squatting and pressing. My torso is long enough that I have enough room to use without digging into the ribs. I like the single ply, but boy do I love my double ply...

Belting for a bench is the same thing as taking a placebo...