starting strength gym

Thread: Recovery @ 36

Default Recovery @ 36

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I haven't been on a strength program for a bit after a knee injury, but when I return my lifts are still pretty good.

However, the workouts afterwards completely wear me out. Physically I'm fine when at the gym lifting, afterwards 2-3 days I'm completely wrecked. Way worse than normal recovery.

Is this lagging recovery (feeling extra tired) a product of not lifting regularly, or just the realities of being 36?

Because I get so tired and it affects my work, I can't get on a consistent routine. But if this is transitional I'll push through. I haven't been on a consistent program since end of 2019.

Could also be I don't drink enough water.

Check your testosterone.

Lots of details missing here...height, weight. Could be testosterone, as Rip says. Could be sleep /diet related too. Not sure what your program is or where your numbers are. I'm 40 and recover fine if I eat and sleep so being 36 in and of itself is not the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Check your testosterone.
    Thanks Rip

Quote Originally Posted by JJ23 View Post
    Lots of details missing here...height, weight. Could be testosterone, as Rip says. Could be sleep /diet related too. Not sure what your program is or where your numbers are. I'm 40 and recover fine if I eat and sleep so being 36 in and of itself is not the problem.
    6'1 about 227 so need to lose a little bit of weight. I could go to gym today and do 315 squat 5 x 5 after about 12 months off. Sleep is fine, but job trading stocks full time is stressful.

OP everything you've said in this post makes me believe you are stupid:

Quitting after injury, thinking you need to drink more water, being a stock trader.

But even a dum dum should know that doing a 5x5 at 315 your first workout in a year is retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by gregpall603 View Post
    6'1 about 227 so need to lose a little bit of weight.
    I can feel Rip’s and Santana’s blood pressure rapidly increasing.

[QUOTE=gregpall603;1831469 but job trading stocks full time is stressful.[/QUOTE]

Idk homie—I’m on wsb and it doesn’t seem that bad.

I’m near your age. Odds are you aren’t eating right, and if you don’t train with consistency, as you indicated, yes, you should expect top to experience DOMS/fatigue. If I miss a week’s worth of training, my next day in is sure to leave me beat up after.

Quote Originally Posted by asm44 View Post
    OP everything you've said in this post makes me believe you are stupid:

Quitting after injury, thinking you need to drink more water, being a stock trader.

But even a dum dum should know that doing a 5x5 at 315 your first workout in a year is retarded.
    Who said my first workout? I could do that but I stick with the Novice programming 3 x 5.

Quote Originally Posted by gregpall603 View Post
    Who said my first workout? I could do that but I stick with the Novice programming 3 x 5.
    I misread. I'm the retard now.

6-1 227 and "needing to lose weight" tells me you aren't eating enough.

starting strength coach development program
    You aren't eating or sleeping enough.