starting strength gym

Thread: The Correct Use of Fractional Plates | Mark Rippetoe

Default The Correct Use of Fractional Plates | Mark Rippetoe

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    People keep posting questions on the forums about their bench and press that lead me to strongly suspect they are trying to take 5lb/2.5kg jumps long after they shouldn't be.

Read article

Fractional plates have been an absolute must for me (female, not quite 5'1", 122 lbs). I do not understand why some men seem reluctant to use them when they have that option.

I train at home and the larger plates I use are marked with athletic tape to ensure I always use the same ones on every lift. With precise 1-pound jumps, my press has gone from 58 to 90 lbs, and my bench from 88 to 129 lbs. Not sticker-club worthy (yet), but way beyond my wildest expectations about this program.

If you have to go to a commercial gym, ask if you can bring your own barbell! You already have to bring your own fractional plates. And often chalk and deadlift jack if you can't live without it. There is at least one chain of commercial gyms near me that will let you bring your own barbell and won't freak out if you drop plates on the Olympic platform. It would probably be fun to go to a commercial gym and weigh the plates. This may seem obvious which is probably why it isn't in the article, but weight yourself with and without the plate and subtract. Don't try to balance the plates on a scale!