starting strength gym
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Power Bellies | Carl Raghavan

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Logan1 View Post
    It just seems like going from a 30" waist to a 40" waist and back would leave some sagging skin.
    That's where the new muscle goes.

It just seems like going from a 30" waist to a 40" waist and back would leave some sagging skin.
    Skin is elastic. Extremely obese people have saggy skin after losing weight because the same constant exposure to sugar that made them fat in the first place has also ruined their skin elasticity (via advanced glycation endproducts, etc.) A lifter going through a normal bulking cycle is not going to have this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Raghavan View Post
    Here’s some proof - “off season bodybuilders” this took all of 30 secs to look up on YouTube. Your welcome and good night.

BODYBUILDERS WHO GOT TOTALLY UNRECOGNIZABLE - OFFSEASON & ONSEASON TRANSFORMATION - YouTube
    Would have been nice to have some evidence like this IN THE ARTICLE THAT YOU WROTE THAT WE ARE CURRENTLY DISCUSSING. Do you want people to look things up on youtube or do you want them to read your work and find it convincing?

You all seem to think it is perfectly normal and good writing for an article to assert the importance of power bellies and back it up with descriptions of big strong men with 30" waists. I'm a troll for pointing out the incongruity. It's not "semantics", Rip, it's the article's premiere examples/data not only not backing up its thesis, but tending to show the opposite.

I should know better. Every time I come on here and do anything other than sing from the hymnbook, I wind up feeling like I am taking crazy pills, like I am part of one of those experiments in conformity where everyone but the subject insists that the longer line is shorter and the subject winds up agreeing due to social pressure.

We need an objective opinion. Someone send the article to their high-school English teacher and ask the teacher to evaluate it as an essay. Do its supporting arguments back up its thesis? Behind the defensiveness you know what the answer would be.

Okay Tom, I got an idea. YOU write the article about this that YOU think we want to read, and I'll publish it. Full documentation and citations will be expected. And we'll see what everybody thinks. Get busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Okay Tom, I got an idea. YOU write the article about this that YOU think we want to read, and I'll publish it. Full documentation and citations will be expected. And we'll see what everybody thinks. Get busy.
    Have we gone from "The article is fine!" to "Ok, the article is bad but you can't do better"?

I'm not a professional strength coach or fitness writer. You criticize films. How many feature films have you directed? Yet you still offer your opinion. Weird.

But I can do this if you want me to. Will take some time to get up to speed. My rate is $250/hr and I will need a fee deposit up front, let's say 10 hours to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Tom, this is a very reasonable offer. It would provide you as a critic, the chance to show that you have the skill sets required to present a better version of the article. And I'm not trying to be an ass here Tom. I believe he will publish your article. And if it is superior, great.

Tom is not serious. Tom is a silly little bitch. A troll, a shit-spoon, has been for years. This just happens to be the worst stunt he's pulled.

I liked the tone of the article. If I were honest with myself, the eating and sleeping part has always been the hardest part for me. I've always struggled with the increased eating to get bigger portion as I've always had another goal, that is to get laid. It's not untill that I've gotten a serious and permanent relationship that I haven't had to focus on aesthetics as much that I've been able to put on weight. I'm the heaviest and strongest I've ever been and I want to continue that trajectory. I enjoy the feeling when I pull out medium clothes and find they don't fit and have to put them in the back of the wardrobe with the small sized ones.

Quote Originally Posted by William MG View Post
    Tom, this is a very reasonable offer. It would provide you as a critic, the chance to show that you have the skill sets required to present a better version of the article. And I'm not trying to be an ass here Tom. I believe he will publish your article. And if it is superior, great.
    I personally would *like* to see this article written (even though I normally don't respond to Tom). The reality is that, despite the blue book being out for a decade and a half and being available on Kindle for $9.99 (Paperback for not much more) there is still an amazing wall of confusion. Maybe Tom (even if by sheer luck) will express things in a way that's incredibly convincing. It can't hurt to have more people writing about this stuff.

I don't consider myself accomplished enough to write articles, but heck if Rip offered me the chance to get published, I'd take this up simply because I'd probably learn something in the process. Plus on the rare occasion when I do have to explain these concepts to skeptics, I could point them to my article here which even if it only came out mediocre, might get them to stumble across some more of the content here. I can't believe this offer was rejected!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by William MG View Post
    Could you point to where I claimed to have the skills to write a better version? Do you expect every movie critic or food critic to also be a film director or chef?

However if Rip meets my terms--$250/hr, $2500 deposited up front--I'll give it a try.

Frankly if you simply deleted the material about bodybuilders with 30" waists it would be a better article because it wouldn't confuse the reader with a bunch of evidence that conflicts with its main point. If Rip just wants me to edit this article, I'd do that for $1000.

P.S. William, do you actually think this was a good article? Can you explain in a couple of sentences how the references to bodybuilders with 30" waists support the thesis that power bellies are awesome?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast