starting strength gym
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Power Bellies | Carl Raghavan

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Logan1 View Post
    Looking forward to reading it.

Although it was interesting to learn how far away from their competition physique some elite bodybuilders will go, those of us who are older and not using steroids aren't likely to have great results consuming an enormous amount of calories in excess of maintenance levels followed by aggressive dieting.
    Those of us who are older and not using steroids are probably not interested in consuming an enormous amount of calories that makes aggressive dieting afterward necessary. This is a discussion for young men, not us.

You really have your knickers in a twist Tom. I would love to tear a hole into your work and see you write 35 articles on a variety of topics like myself to compare your skill. All my writing has been proofread by Rip and my own personal editor before being published FYI. I’ve been an SSC since 2014 but I too am still a novice writer - I’ll give you that.

I hear your comments but I really don’t see how observing waist stats from a profession that specialize in aesthetics isn’t useful imagery. Abs have become fashionable in the health magazines and movies because of bodybuilding. How is talking about waist measurement not relevant in a power bellies article? Phil Heath and Ronnie Coleman clearly had a bigger midsections aka “belly” than Zane and Arnold ever did and what do we know? Even in a male beauty pageant, which is the Mr. Olympia contest Phil and Ronnie won more titles than Zane and Arnold. In an aesthetics based competition the guys with the bigger bellies won more! Bodybuilding is a subjective sport judged on who looks the best and Phil and Ronnie won more times than Zane and Arnie. Doesn’t that say something? (Head nod please)

I’m curious what’s your current physique and training history is? (Cause it seems from this increasing thread you are a common troll here with nothing good to say) not that I would know, I barely am on the forum, cause I like to stay away from toxic comments such as yourself. Tell me Tom, have you ever put on 50kg of pure muscle? Or ever gained 50kg of bodyweight during training. Cause you did say your not a coach or related to the industry but being a member of this forum. So I assume you must train to some degree or is a keyboard war your equivalent to a “leg day?” I’ll tell you again. It doesn’t work like that. Like I’ve said my advice to gain worked for me going from 70-120kg and it can’t be ALL muscle as a power belly comes with the territory when putting on serious size. I’m not looking to be this big forever at 60 I will probably be talking about longevity and health maybe even a 6 pack (doubt it) but while we are young we can try and be a “strong S.O.B somebody, right?” We are only on this blue planet for a very short period of time and I want to leave no stone unturned in making strength and size progress. I’m sorry you can’t wrap your head around the over arching theme from this article which I still think is pretty sound. Your putting words into people’s mouth saying this is “just ok” with all due respect I’d like to politely say, FUCK YOU. This is still bloody good IMO and has merit but I’m biased I wrote it. Where are your articles Tom?

The novice trainee (who I write for) needs to hear this stuff. Over and over again and rehashed into a million variations and whatever imagery clicks best. Talking about bodybuilders makes perfect sense as that’s the classic model reference people compare themselves to when they judge their physique or talk about powerlifters or strongmen who have bodybuilder type physiques.
    Maybe a power bellies part 2 is in order to shut you up.

Put your ass on the line here Tom. I can personally vouch Rip always pays writers well and is fair for providing content. Non SSC’s are allowed to post from what I’ve been told, as long as your good. Which remains to be seen. Asking for upfront pay is however, absolutely ridiculous when you haven’t written shit and have no published experience writing anything. This isn’t Nandos or McDonalds where you pay before you get the food you TWAT. If your work is worth £250 you better write a bloody Beethoven symphony my man, cause that’s a very high fee.

If your so passionate and OCD about perfect articles like you say you are you should do this simply out of pride. If your good don’t do anything for free tho, I get that. So I’m calling you out Tom let’s see what your made of. Come back at me when you’re 35 articles deep and tell me how shit I am and how great you are. I’m kinda betting my chances of being a better writer than you are substantially higher. Prove me wrong.
    GAME ON!

On the bright side, Tom's intervention has brought unexpected traffic to Carl's article. Not a chance I would have read this particular one if it weren't for this thread.

Nothing against Carl, I'm just not that invested in the topic of power bellies: I'm physiologically incapable of growing my own and, as far as my husband's is concerned, here are the guidelines I provided when he started worrying about the expansion of his one pack.
    1) Husband shall be able to see his dick;
    2) Dick shall remain serviceable; and
    3) Power belly shall not reduce dick's reach.
    My husband found those guidelines reasonable, even though one could argue that 1 is arbitrary and that 2 is not necessarily related to a power belly's presence or size.

This has gotten under your skin Carl, which is unfortunate, because I have watched your videos and you come across as a nice guy who really enjoys helping people.

Keep at it man, write more articles.

Yeah Carl, this dumbass is not worthy of response. Go have a pint of bitter or some other English thing.

I’m a nice guy. Who doesn’t take any shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Raghavan View Post
    I’m not looking to be this big forever at 60 I will probably be talking about longevity and health maybe even a 6 pack (doubt it) but while we are young we can try and be a “strong S.O.B somebody, right?”
    At 60, it may no longer be called a "power" belly. Best of luck reaching your goals before then.

It is interesting that many of the powerlifters and strongmen can push the weight into the mid 300s and even mid 400s, then have no loose skin when they drop 100lbs+.
    We all know sedentary guys who have gotten to 250lbs, then dropped to 200lbs and ended up with loose, saggy skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    It is interesting that many of the powerlifters and strongmen can push the weight into the mid 300s and even mid 400s, then have no loose skin when they drop 100lbs+.
    We all know sedentary guys who have gotten to 250lbs, then dropped to 200lbs and ended up with loose, saggy skin.
    There's a lot that probably contributes to that. Their nutrition is way better, even at 400+. They also probably don't have the same volume of fat even at that enormous weight, so the skin isn't strained as much. PEDs may even help with the collagen in the skin, testosterone is supposed to be involved in that.

Quote Originally Posted by Logan1 View Post
    At 60, it may no longer be called a "power" belly. Best of luck reaching your goals before then.
    Jesus, people just cannot help but take shots at a guy who isn't concerned with a six pack. A guy serious about maximizing his lifting performance just isn't gonna have well-defined abs, that's how it is.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    Jesus, people just cannot help but take shots at a guy who isn't concerned with a six pack. A guy serious about maximizing his lifting performance just isn't gonna have well-defined abs, that's how it is.
    It wasn't intended as an insult and I don't care what choices someone else makes about their body composition. As someone who is already well past 60, I've had plenty of time to experience the reality of what happens to one's body and it isn't positive.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast