starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Texas Method and rest time complaints from others

Default Texas Method and rest time complaints from others

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Rip and others,

I am doing the Texas Method and love doing it, but lately have had a complainer about how long I have to rest between sets and am wondering how to handle it. I work out at a busy Y first thing in the morning, and they have roughly 5 bars/stations that can be used for squats, cleans, etc. I try to work in other things in between sets, but ten minutes is a lot of time to fill with other things without overlapping/interfering with the rest, so that usually leads to sitting and resting. I had a complainer storm up and tell me to stop sitting there on my phone and hogging the bar. I told him I have long rests due to the program I am on, and he's not buying it and still was pissed and stormed off (notably another bar opened up within 5 minutes and he never got on it). He then approached me again this week and kept on threatening to keep pester me about it, and I keep on telling him the same thing, I have a lot of rest as part of the program I am out. He says he will still keep on staying on me about it. First, how do I respond to it? I don't want to get the gym involved, as I can't guarantee a good outcome (they very well may make a silly decision).

Second, do you have any recommendations for exercises to do before sets? I usually do abs and back but would love to eliminate all the downtime I have with other exercises.

Thank you,

Ross

If you're "doing abs and back" you haven't read the book. Practical Programming for Strength Training, 3rd edition – The Aasgaard Company

Ask the gym if they have a policy for this?

Do you not let people work in? When I trained at my downtown Y over my lunch hours that was pretty common for the handful of us actually using the squat racks, otherwise none of us would have had time to get in a full workout.

Quote Originally Posted by Starportsculler View Post
    Hi Rip and others,

He says he will still keep on staying on me about it. First, how do I respond to it?

Thank you,

Ross
    "Fuck you."

You are welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    Do you not let people work in? When I trained at my downtown Y over my lunch hours that was pretty common for the handful of us actually using the squat racks, otherwise none of us would have had time to get in a full workout.
    "You're welcome to work in" seems like the best response. Unless he wants to curl in the squat rack. I am jealous that your YMCA has five platforms. If mine had that, I would lift there. I go drop my ten year old off at the child care while my wife does Zumba and some other completely ineffective stuff that I don't even understand and then I come home and lift weights!

Polite thing to do would be to offer to let him work in. If he refuses, then he has nothing to complain about. Not everyone is a wannabe bodybuilder doing 135 pound bouncy squat sets with 30 seconds rest.

Mark says no more than 8-10 minutes between 5x5 sets.

Regarding to the gym problem, you can propose to that guy to use the bar while you rest; probably he will must to deload the bar and then you will must to reload the bar, but this is the only way to get along with these people.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernLifter View Post
    Mark says no more than 8-10 minutes between 5x5 sets.
    I've also said that when your sets of 5 are up in the 405-455 range, you may need 15 minutes. One of the downsides of the Texas Method.

starting strength coach development program
    While my home gym was being renovated after a flood, I have been working out in a commercial gym. Since I rest longer than most lifters and benches and combo squat rack and deadlift platforms are quite limited, I am proactive about letting others work in. If I see someone waiting, I always offer to let him or her work-in. If one is taking ten minutes between sets, there is plenty of time for someone else to complete their warmups and at least one work set. Unless one of you are lifting substantially more than the other, it's not that hard to share a platform or bench. Since I normally workout alone, sharing a bench or squat rack provides me with a potential spotter,

I'm 6' 2" and I've shared a platform with a woman that was barely 5' tall. Although I wouldn't try it with singles, I set the pins low enough that she could unrack the bar.

I have been on the receiving end of someone taking an hour or more to complete an exercise and being unwilling to share. My solution was to arrive a bit earlier to take over the rack. Although I was still willing to share, others who aren't allowed to workin might not be willing to do so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast