starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Texas Method and rest time complaints from others

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernLifter View Post
    Mark says no more than 8-10 minutes between 5x5 sets.

Regarding to the gym problem, you can propose to that guy to use the bar while you rest; probably he will must to deload the bar and then you will must to reload the bar, but this is the only way to get along with these people.
    There are idiots out there who get pissy if you rest 5 minutes, or even less than that. Ironically, I've seen these types of people having extended chats with other gym-goers for long periods while a loaded bar was sitting waiting to be lifted. People just suck, I'm not sure most people's brains are even able to think about anything but themselves and what they want.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    There are idiots out there who get pissy if you rest 5 minutes, or even less than that. Ironically, I've seen these types of people having extended chats with other gym-goers for long periods while a loaded bar was sitting waiting to be lifted. People just suck, I'm not sure most people's brains are even able to think about anything but themselves and what they want.
    Yes. It seems like it´s good to waste time watching the smartphone but it is not good to rest 5 minutes between sets. Here in my country we say "the people think with the ass instead the brain".

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I've also said that when your sets of 5 are up in the 405-455 range, you may need 15 minutes. One of the downsides of the Texas Method.
    I meant your article posted on T-Nation. But it is good to know that a 15 minute rest is viable. I'll keep that in mind for when I use the TM. Thanks Rip, you are a open book.

Yeah, I need to go over it again, it's been 3 years since I read it.

Thank you all. I think I will offer to work in, but damn the dude is crazy. He confronted me pissed off without even asking to work in the first time and the second time he already had a rack, he just wanted to complain to me. I also have to tread carefully, because if he complains to the gym there is always the risk of stupid/unfavorable outcome for me while he has nothing to lose.

Maybe you should be the one who complains to the gym about this asshole if he is pestering you over equipment he doesn’t even need to use.

I agree. If someone has to run to Teacher, it should be you.

Quote Originally Posted by Starportsculler View Post
    Yeah, I need to go over it again, it's been 3 years since I read it.

Thank you all. I think I will offer to work in, but damn the dude is crazy. He confronted me pissed off without even asking to work in the first time and the second time he already had a rack, he just wanted to complain to me. I also have to tread carefully, because if he complains to the gym there is always the risk of stupid/unfavorable outcome for me while he has nothing to lose.
    I can't find where you are located. I'm in Seminole County, FL. There's an SS gym near me but it opened after I finished my garage gym. I'm still going to check it out, though. Is there a Crunch fitness near you? Of the national chains, they are the most friendly to people who actually want to make progress.

starting strength coach development program
    Interestingly, enough, I never use my phone between sets and have never had this problem training in a busy public gym. I think some people make the not entirely unreasonable assumption that if you're glued to your phone, you've got distracted from your workout, have lost track of time, or are being otherwise less efficient/considerate than you should be. If your phone is out of sight and you're and regularly glancing at the clock on the gym wall (as I do), it's easier to assume that you know what you're doing and there's a good reason for the amount of rest you're taking.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12