starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Deadlift Grip Failing

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I don’t want to dissuade you from the hook grip. It is likely the better option. I can’t do it myself because of short, fat fingers. I just don’t think that there is any real chance of rupturing the biceps if you are following the five step set up. If you do that, you will stretch out your arms before you pull, so the chance of pulling the bar with your arms is really minimal. Look at the guy in the linked video again, he does a jerk instead of a squeeze off the floor. I mean, I can’t presume to give him tips, because his deadlift is 200 pounds ahead of mine, but if he did the five step set up, I don’t think he would have ruptured the muscle.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    I don’t want to dissuade you from the hook grip. It is likely the better option. I can’t do it myself because of short, fat fingers. I just don’t think that there is any real chance of rupturing the biceps if you are following the five step set up. If you do that, you will stretch out your arms before you pull, so the chance of pulling the bar with your arms is really minimal. Look at the guy in the linked video again, he does a jerk instead of a squeeze off the floor. I mean, I can’t presume to give him tips, because his deadlift is 200 pounds ahead of mine, but if he did the five step set up, I don’t think he would have ruptured the muscle.
    I wonder, i during this type of tear does it only happen immediately off the floor? I wonder if it happens higher up on the pull too for some?

That’s a fair point too that the slack is pulled completely out of your arms in the correct deadlift. Probably minimizes the chance of a tear from it yanking down all at once. Also, if I’m able to strengthen my hook in the meantime I’ll report back.

starting strength coach development program
    The ones I have seen in videos tend to happen in the first third of the pull.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234