starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Deadlift Grip Failing

Default Deadlift Grip Failing

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Today marked the start of my 7th week on the NLP. Gripping the bar for Deadlift has become increasingly difficult over the past two weeks, but today was the first day that I genuinely couldn’t finish my fifth rep (250lbs) without the bar slipping out from my hands. (Yes, I am using chalk).
    At this point, is it best for me to get some straps and use those for my last warm-up set and my workset, or should I first try using the hook grip?
    I recognize that I almost certainly should have a sufficient grip strength to lift 250, but I don’t, so here we are.

Here's something Nick doesn't mention in that article: if you're struggling with the discomfort of the hook grip, wrap your thumbs in a couple of layers of athletic tape. It works wonders and you will still build callus underneath the tape (albeit more slowly) which will help over the long term.

Don't dismiss it as the equivalent of the cushioned barbell pad for squatting either - Olympic weightlifters (by which I mean people actually competing in the weightlifting final at the Olympic Games) use it all the time.

I used to tape my thumbs when my hook started hurting enough that it was becoming difficult to focus on the lift. Honestly....I wish I would have just dealt with it. The tape was always a huge hassle and when it was a limit weight sometimes the tape would slide with the bar and I'd miss the rep because of it. I used tape for a while....maybe 4-6 months at the end of my novice phase. I spent a lot of time reading about the proper way to tape them, how to minimize sliding, etc. I could never get it quite right.

Finally I just gave up and endured the pain. I'm at the point now where I don't even think about it anymore. Wish I never would have started using tape.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Z View Post
    I used to tape my thumbs when my hook started hurting enough that it was becoming difficult to focus on the lift. Honestly....I wish I would have just dealt with it. The tape was always a huge hassle and when it was a limit weight sometimes the tape would slide with the bar and I'd miss the rep because of it. I used tape for a while....maybe 4-6 months at the end of my novice phase. I spent a lot of time reading about the proper way to tape them, how to minimize sliding, etc. I could never get it quite right.

Finally I just gave up and endured the pain. I'm at the point now where I don't even think about it anymore. Wish I never would have started using tape.
    That's interesting. What kind of tape were you using? I use the stretchy cohesive/self-adhesive stuff which basically looks and feels like a coarse bandage. I've never looked up a particular technique for wrapping, I've just put it on quite tightly and made sure the exposed end isn't on the side of my thumb where the bar is going to sit. I've never had tape slip before and it only takes me about 10 seconds to put it on each thumb.

I use the same tape to cover particularly bad blisters/ripped callouses caused by rowing, and it does sometimes slip in the boat when it gets wet. But when I'm in the gym and the chalk is keeping my hands bone dry, I've never had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by TheChubbyViking View Post
    Today marked the start of my 7th week on the NLP. Gripping the bar for Deadlift has become increasingly difficult over the past two weeks, but today was the first day that I genuinely couldn’t finish my fifth rep (250lbs) without the bar slipping out from my hands. (Yes, I am using chalk).
    At this point, is it best for me to get some straps and use those for my last warm-up set and my workset, or should I first try using the hook grip?
    I recognize that I almost certainly should have a sufficient grip strength to lift 250, but I don’t, so here we are.
    Are you actually eating 6000 calories a day and putting on bodyweight?
    In my experience what helped me get through a gripping problem on the Deadlift was to simply get bigger, improve my technique and stop being a pussy.
    I went from deadlifting 285lbs with straps on to deadlifting 365lbs(today) with just my hook grip (which I started using around 305/315lbs) and some chalk. And I grew up with arthritis too. I don't even have that many calluses or particularly favorable genetics.
    You are 22 years old, 6'2" and need to get to 205 pretty quickly if you haven't already, and then up to 220.
    I'm 5"10", 26 years old and I was struggling with my grip when I was 165/175lbs, now I am 205lbs, and no grip problem anymore.

Just some personal experience that might give you some perspective

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    That's interesting. What kind of tape were you using? I use the stretchy cohesive/self-adhesive stuff which basically looks and feels like a coarse bandage. I've never looked up a particular technique for wrapping, I've just put it on quite tightly and made sure the exposed end isn't on the side of my thumb where the bar is going to sit. I've never had tape slip before and it only takes me about 10 seconds to put it on each thumb.

I use the same tape to cover particularly bad blisters/ripped callouses caused by rowing, and it does sometimes slip in the boat when it gets wet. But when I'm in the gym and the chalk is keeping my hands bone dry, I've never had a problem.
    Yeah originally I used the same stuff. I went through a few different brands. I think the last one I tried was Lyft-RX before I finally switched to plain old non-stretchy athletic tape. The basic, white athletic tape worked well until it didn't. Once the weight got heavy enough I just couldn't get it to stay no matter what I tried.

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    Are you actually eating 6000 calories a day and putting on bodyweight?
    In my experience what helped me get through a gripping problem on the Deadlift was to simply get bigger, improve my technique and stop being a pussy.
    I went from deadlifting 285lbs with straps on to deadlifting 365lbs(today) with just my hook grip (which I started using around 305/315lbs) and some chalk. And I grew up with arthritis too. I don't even have that many calluses or particularly favorable genetics.
    You are 22 years old, 6'2" and need to get to 205 pretty quickly if you haven't already, and then up to 220.
    I'm 5"10", 26 years old and I was struggling with my grip when I was 165/175lbs, now I am 205lbs, and no grip problem anymore.

Just some personal experience that might give you some perspective
    I’m trying to eat around 5k cals per day. Right now I’m at 202lbs. I’ll start using the hook grip and see where that takes me!

Thanks to everyone for their insightful feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by TheChubbyViking View Post
    I’m trying to eat around 5k cals per day. Right now I’m at 202lbs. I’ll start using the hook grip and see where that takes me!

Thanks to everyone for their insightful feedback!
    Lift all your warm-ups double overhand. The hook will probably fail for your 5 rep sets eventually.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by GioFerrante View Post
    Lift all your warm-ups double overhand. The hook will probably fail for your 5 rep sets eventually.
    For sure! Gotta keep building up the grip strength with the warm-ups. Thanks!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast