starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can the Average Man Deadlift 500? | Andrew Lewis

Default Can the Average Man Deadlift 500? | Andrew Lewis

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Can the average man deadlift 500lb? Yes. Will they? No. An average man has the physical potential to deadlift 500lb, but it takes a lot of elements coming together to make it happen. It's not enough for him to go to the gym three times a week, do the lifts, and go home.

Read article

I agree with the general idea here. But some things are overstated -- i.e. "6 eggs can only be considered a snack!" I think most guys can get to 500lbs just being somewhat consistent and not being skinny. 500 lbs doesn't take much more than that. Think most people just give up on the heavy all-out 5s.

Andrew just wrote this to tell us that he eats baked potatoes the same way he eats apples.

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerBen View Post
    Andrew just wrote this to tell us that he eats baked potatoes the same way he eats apples.
    You got me.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

I donīt think so. My friend "Skinny Tommy" who weights 120 lb, is 5" 7 tall and is a young healthy guy whose bones are finer than a pencil, never will reach 226 kg at a deadlift. Genetics they tell.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernLifter View Post
    I donīt think so. My friend "Skinny Tommy" who weights 120 lb, is 5" 7 tall and is a young healthy guy whose bones are finer than a pencil, never will reach 226 kg at a deadlift. Genetics they tell.
    Skinny Tommy is on the left side of the curve.

Andrew is this saying an average man can get to deadlift 500 for a set of 5 reps or for a 1 rep max?

I was once 126lbs at 6’0 without an eating disorder. I have zero athletic ability, one leg that is nearly an inch shorter than the other, and the moderate scoliosis and muscular imbalances that typically accompanies such an asymmetry. After eating my way to 238lbs I still had zero athletic ability and 6.5” wrists, but I pulled 500.

You have to remember that when I say "The average man can deadlift 500lb" i'm also saying "Half of all men probably can't ever deadlift 500lb." This includes older men, those on the left side of genetic bell curve, and a hand full of others. I said "average man" deliberately.

But that said, your friend "Skinny Tommy" does not need to weigh 120lb at 5'7". He chooses to.

Quote Originally Posted by GioFerrante View Post
    Andrew is this saying an average man can get to deadlift 500 for a set of 5 reps or for a 1 rep max?
    1 rep.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by asm44 View Post
    I agree with the general idea here. But some things are overstated -- i.e. "6 eggs can only be considered a snack!" I think most guys can get to 500lbs just being somewhat consistent and not being skinny. 500 lbs doesn't take much more than that. Think most people just give up on the heavy all-out 5s.
    When Andrew was a lad, he ate four dozen eggs every morning to help him get large. And now that he deadlifts 500lbs, he eats five dozen eggs. So he's roughly the size of a barge!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast