starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can the Average Man Deadlift 500? | Andrew Lewis

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by EdTice View Post
    When Andrew was a lad, he ate four dozen eggs every morning to help him get large. And now that he deadlifts 500lbs, he eats five dozen eggs. So he's roughly the size of a barge!
    With one hand, Gaston picks up three women sitting on an oak bench. I only wish I were as strong and physically impressive as Gaston.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Can the average man deadlift 500lb? Yes. Will they? No.

What's the female version of that?

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    You have to remember that when I say "The average man can deadlift 500lb" i'm also saying "Half of all men probably can't ever deadlift 500lb." This includes older men, those on the left side of genetic bell curve, and a hand full of others. I said "average man" deliberately.

But that said, your friend "Skinny Tommy" does not need to weigh 120lb at 5'7". He chooses to.

1 rep.
    So your average man also consider an average weight. It could be like 165 lb and 5" 9. So now I am agree with the article.

With one hand, Gaston picks up three women sitting on an oak bench. I only wish I were as strong and physically impressive as Gaston.
    No ones neck’s as incredibly thick as Gastons.

Quote Originally Posted by HailMary View Post
    Can the average man deadlift 500lb? Yes. Will they? No.

What's the female version of that?
    Probably 300lb.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernLifter View Post
    So your average man also consider an average weight. It could be like 165 lb and 5" 9. So now I am agree with the article.
    Is a man constrained artificially or naturally by his weight? In other words, do you believe a man has control over his body weight?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernLifter View Post
    Let's assume that your average untrained man can deadlift 100lb at 5'9" weighing 165lbs. If he wants to deadlift 500lbs, he will have to improve his deadlift by 400lbs. Hope that math isn't hard. Since few people have ever achieved a 5x bodyweight deadlift, lets assume an average man (i.e. not an elite lifter) would have to gain 1lb for every 5lbs you add to the deadlift. This would mean that he would have to gain 80lbs and your 5'9" average male weighing 165lbs will now be a 5'9" beast of a man weighing a solid 245lbs.

For many people a 2.5x deadlift is pretty achievable which would mean that maybe he would only have to be 200lbs. But you're right that he probably won't achieve it at 165lbs as that would be a 3x deadlift which is out of range for those who aren't genetic outliers.

Rather than speculate, however, what this average man should do is follow the program and eat as instructed. As long as he isn't gaining more than one pound for each five pounds he adds to the deadlift, he doesn't have to get himself all wrapped up in his underwear.

You have to remember that when I say "The average man can deadlift 500lb" i'm also saying "Half of all men probably can't ever deadlift 500lb." This includes older men, those on the left side of genetic bell curve, and a hand full of others. I said "average man" deliberately.
    I'm probably on the left side of the genetic bell curve, but I still intend to hit 500.

During the first COVID year, with a bit of consistency and focus I went from a 295 max deadlift to a double at 455 as my N=1 average man at 51 years old, 5'10", 204lbs. This was without a coach, eating "sort-of" for lifting performance and with a full time remote job to add some stress. While I have yet to reach my goal of a 500# single due to life getting in the way as it always does, I can honestly validate that when I put the required level of effort in, 500 will be achievable and likely a bit more even being well past those prime years. Had I focused on strength when I was younger, 500 would not have been the question; it would have been 600 or more. In addition, while I have participated in various athletics, I am by no means one of the genetically gifted lifters.

starting strength coach development program
    455lb starting in your fifties is solid. Well done. I'm sure you'll pull 500lb if you keep at it.

You'll be much more successful at a bodyweight of 230lb, I promise you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12