• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Just need a bench and some pins or something

Right
    I’ve wasted too much time already

Quote Originally Posted by DCM36 View Post
    Right
    I’ve wasted too much time already
    You haven't wasted time, you been using it doing other things. But now that you've started, might as well do it right.

Good luck

Don't let yourself off the hook because of equipment. When the Age of House Arrest hit, I thankfully got a good barbell and a bunch of plates, but didn't have a bench or a rack. I made squat stands with 4x4s, 5-gal buckets, and cement...but it sounds like you have real ones, right? Here's what I did specifically for benching:

For the bench itself, I bought an early one from Strength Co. built to these specs: DIY Bench Press - YouTube
    Those are the how-to instructions they posted online. Very straightforward... (I just wanted to support what Capt. Broggi and his crew were doing.)

For safeties, I used a pair of adjustable steel sawhorses, with lengths of 2x4 secured to the tops to distribute the weight across vs. pressure in a small area. They're rated for 1300 lb. each. This worked for me for bench and for squats.

That's what I used for nearly two years before I was able to get a good deal on real equipment, and my bench single is in the low-mid 300s.

Mandatory internet statement of course is, your mileage may vary...but don't underestimate the extent to which you can make do, if you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny&mighty View Post
    I was trying to find a way to say exactly this but couldn't articulate it properly. Thank you.
    Glad to be of help - even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while!

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    I suggest you simply start doing the actual Starting Strength program before questioning it. And I mean doing it exactly as it is written.
    This is the answer to the vast majority of the questions that are posed through this board.

Rip has the patience of Job.

Nice overcoming of circumstances
    I have a squat stand
    So if I get some pins and a bench, I’ll be all set

starting strength coach development program
    Hey, DCM36: now that you’re benching, and since you’ve made the bench section of BlueBook your own because that’s what Rip told you to do, maybe you can answer your original question.

For example, you reviewed the part about the bench valsava with the ribs-up chest full of air? As you do that and bench properly, it is going to help you lock in and hold thoracic extension for a heavy deadlift. Same for your stalled overhead press, not to mention what benching’ll do for your arm and shoulder overhead-press-muscles. And benching will even help with your squat, because holding your thoracic and shoulder position may be challenging while you are coming up hips first out of the hole without raising your chest too early.
    Good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12