starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TRT Tips for Younger Men | Tyler Perkins

Default TRT Tips for Younger Men | Tyler Perkins

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Behind every man on testosterone replacement, there is a story of wasted money, wasted time, medical quackery, and possibly some unnecessary fondling. So, I would like to share a few of my own experiences that I am sure are common enough among those searching for help[.]

Read article

This article is great! I'm going through all this as a young male as we speak. I was put on clomiphene a few months ago for low t and I went from producing zero semen to a few drops of semen roughly every 4 days and I tried to convince the consultant that although the clomiphene had raised my t slightly (I became borderline 'normal') I still wasn't producing enough semen which indicated low t... The consultant simply asked me why I wanted more semen....

I said, after a huge pause... 'Because... I want to be a normal human male?'

I'm at a loss for words.

Jesus, he went in there with a 185 ng/dl result and the doctor accused him of abusing steroids? People like this should be shot.

Great article.
    Who's the massive guy squatting in the picture?

I believe that the use of plastic is one factor in the stew of many that is contributing to the overall decline in testosterone. It's one of the many reasons I despise the stuff but we've set up modern society to run on it so I'm really not sure what to do about it. Generally avoid microwaving foods in plastic containers (Even "Microwave Safe" ones)

"So, my GP, who is a soft, slob-like fellow and likely “low-T” himself, informed me that he would like to get me all the way up to the 300s (what the obsession with 300 is, I am still uncertain"

The obsession has changed to 250ng/dL now as the minimum, because they changed the reference range.

The thing I don't get about medical science is why they develop "normal" ranges based on population distributions as opposed to healthy or desirable ranges. BMI was developed by using a population of 20 year olds in the military if I remember correctly, but those with a BMI of "overweight" (25-30) actually have lower mortality than any other BMI range category. Now, you could argue that overweight people get sick and then become "normal" or "underweight" in the period of being sick and then dying, but I don't think that's the case. Why not simply make a "healthy" range as opposed to a statistically "normal" range? Maybe they are, and I'm not just paying attention to the right things. Maybe there's something I'm missing.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Very good article and very good advice. The reference range is simply a population average and the population of men tested happens to be a group of men that are producing less testosterone than ever. The new normal is actually deficient. The normal range is also not a range for men that were screened for symptoms of a deficiency. Most of the men could've felt terrible with no libido, decreasing lean muscle mass, no energy, depressed, irritable, etc.… and yet they were still included in the normal range. We would have a different range if we only took the most healthy and those without any symptoms of a deficiency. There seems to be a fear of a supraphysiologic level but in reality when men reach these levels every parameter of health improves. Whenever we raise testosterone just a little bit we get a little bit of improvement but when we raise testosterone to an adequate level we get all of the benefits of testosterone with regard to our health and well-being. Most men simply do not get an adequate dose of testosterone to maximize the beneficial effects. About 20 years ago in some labs normal range went up to 1500 ng/dL and five years ago the normal range was at 1197 ng/dL. The upper limit of normal now is 916 ng/dL. What was a healthy and beneficial level just 5 to 20 years ago has now been bastardized into something that is dangerous and unhealthy when this upper limit of normal is exceeded. From a clinical standpoint the reality is that when men obtain these so-called supraphysiologic levels (within reason which is between 1,000 and 2000 for most men) every parameter of health that I can measure improves. I do not see this happen when levels or raised just a little bit. There is a fear of harm that is not represented in the medical literature. Testosterone therapy has never been shown to increase a man's risk of major adverse cardiac events in any randomized control trial to date and it has been used clinically since 1937. We live in a toxic environment and it is having major adverse effects on our endocrine systems. I cannot control the exposure but I can certainly provide the best antidote I know which is to optimize hormone levels.

Dr. Nichols will be on my podcast this Friday, 5/13. It was a very informative show, you'll want to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Dr. Nichols will be on my podcast this Friday, 5/13. It was a very informative show, you'll want to see it.
    Did you touch at all on going off TRT for fertility reasons and how that goes? One of the main turn-offs to TRT for me has been that I don't want to have to go off it later to have kids. It seems like dealing with losing the exogenous test while endogenous production is suppressed makes for a really bad time of it, worse than just having the low T. For now I just take clomiphene citrate and it's definitely helped. I haven't been able to kick antidepressants entirely but I have been able to drastically reduce the dosage. Also actually grew some real chest hair.

starting strength coach development program
    Dr. Nichols, take a guy who is on the cusp of considering TRT. It’s a big commitment. What lifestyle factors should he first address on his own?

I’m not against medical intervention, but the approach should be something like “I’ve tried very hard and exhausted all factors within my control, but I still need help.”

The things that come to mind are: Sleep quality and duration, exercise intensity and consistency, diet esp. sufficient protein intake, BMI (if legitimately obese) and reducing unhelpful stress.

Thanks and I look forward to the podcast.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast