starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Don't Artificially Limit Your Lifts | Mark Rippetoe

Default Don't Artificially Limit Your Lifts | Mark Rippetoe

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Getting strong is hard work. It's years in the gym under the bar, moving weights you're challenged by and are sometimes afraid of, but you do it anyway because the goal is worth it. Don't make it harder than it has to be with poorly reasoned assumptions about what is either necessary or permissible.

Read article

Great article - would Rip extend the same logic to wrist wraps and elbow sleeves once the press/bench get over 200/300 respectively?

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller1991 View Post
    Great article - would Rip extend the same logic to wrist wraps and elbow sleeves once the press/bench get over 200/300 respectively?
    Wrist wraps are primarily used as fashion statements.

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    Wrist wraps are primarily used as fashion statements.
    As a follow up, is there any recommendations to train grip strength directly for the bench and press? I’ve been lowering the weight on the deadlifts and using double over to increase their ability. I just read in that article I’m doing it wrong. But I have earned “bro points” doing double over on a set of fahve deadlifts.

When I’m pressing, my forearms will shake violently and sometimes my wrist will “snap back” on their own and it scares the shit out of me. So I have to finish my set with bent wrists. And once I rack, I feel the price I just paid.

It isn’t as bad on Texas 28mm all around bars. I once tried pressing on an Eleiko (same diameter) general bar, and some reason I could not maintain proper grip on it. My wrist immediately snap back. My bench is in the 260s and my press is in the 150s right now. I feel like I can go heavier on them, but my grip is failing me.

You are placing the bar on the heel of your palm incorrectly. The grip in the two presses deals with the bar in compression, while the pulling grips are about tension. The book sorts this out. You ought to read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You are placing the bar on the heel of your palm incorrectly. The grip in the two presses deals with the bar in compression, while the pulling grips are about tension. The book sorts this out. You ought to read it.
    Interesting. I’m on the bench chapter. I’ll finish reading it and see. I’ve been doing the “palm” setup I’ve read in the press chapter and seen in the YouTube videos.

I use the proper grip on presses, and don't put on wrist wraps until my worksets. I don't have to wear them, but it gives me 5 pounds or so on my top end for reps and let's me train heavier than I would otherwise with the same fatigue.

I didn't add them in until my bench was over 315 and my press was over 225, but I will damn sure use them on my work sets especially press where I feel the benefit the most. I just can't fathom taking weight off the bar just to say you didn't use wrist wraps, when the same logic could apply to a belt or lifting shoes vs flats etc.

I guess I'm confused as to why knee wraps or sleeves are good because they help you lift more weight over the longest effective range of motion but wrist wraps are not even though they do the same thing for me. Granted I have some wrist pain from some calcification in my left wrist, but even without that I don't see why it wouldn't be good to use them, especially in competition.

Or maybe I totally missed your point on knee wraps and belts, that is certainly a possibility.

I don't think I have ever advised against the use of wrist wraps. But Stef is right -- most people use them because they look badass.

I don't think I have ever advised against the use of wrist wraps. But Stef is right -- most people use them because they look badass.
    That makes more sense, I misunderstood her comment as SS being opposed to wrist wraps.

Thanks!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by RMiller1991 View Post
    That makes more sense, I misunderstood her comment as SS being opposed to wrist wraps.
    I am opposed to ridiculous people.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast