starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Don't Artificially Limit Your Lifts | Mark Rippetoe

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    Wrist wraps are primarily used as fashion statements.
    They make sure everyone in the gym knows that your 205 bench is gonna be serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    They make sure everyone in the gym knows that your 205 bench is gonna be serious.
    Well here I was thinking I was using them to put my wrists in more safety and squeeze my palm a little bit to create a better shelf for the bar. I will try not to use them on my 207lbs bench next time, and see if I notice a difference. Now that I think about it, I have never done my work sets without wrist wraps.

I bench alone in my garage by the way, so it's not fashion or badassery, it's just stupidity
    I guess.

Hey, I resemble that remark! I'm off to the gym now to do my 205 bench, with my wrist wraps. But then I'm an old and decrepit 61-year old, so I get some dispensation in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Plano View Post
    Hey, I resemble that remark! I'm off to the gym now to do my 205 bench, with my wrist wraps. But then I'm an old and decrepit 61-year old, so I get some dispensation in that regard.
    So I wore my straps but I think I was upstaged by the jacked bodybuilder who wrapped his knees (with wraps, not sleeves) to do two plates. Not to depth and didn't stand all the way up at the top, very odd.

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    I am opposed to ridiculous people.
    Ed Coan over here looking ridiculous lol

NPL; 2000 Mountaineer Cup II - Bench Press (Ed Coan) - YouTube

Lol those people are certainly embarrassing, but yes I am going to use wrist wraps to allow me to do volume pressing at 220 vs 210/212 all day long, and I am unable to see how it is different from using knee wraps to allow more volume/stress systemically while keeping your knees in decent shape.

OHP 220 5x5 - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    Well here I was thinking I was using them to put my wrists in more safety and squeeze my palm a little bit to create a better shelf for the bar. I will try not to use them on my 207lbs bench next time, and see if I notice a difference. Now that I think about it, I have never done my work sets without wrist wraps.

I bench alone in my garage by the way, so it's not fashion or badassery, it's just stupidity
    I guess.
    You might need wrist wraps at 455, but certainly not at 207. Drop them, train your wrist position, you will get a much better feel for the lift.

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller1991 View Post
    Ed can do anything he wants and not look ridiculous. You, on the other hand...

You might need wrist wraps at 455, but certainly not at 207. Drop them, train your wrist position, you will get a much better feel for the lift.
    Well I'll be damned, I didn't use the wraps with 207lbs and I am still alive.
    The board is right once again!

I really enjoyed this article. Just a few months ago, I was under the erroneous impression that the belt was something I wouldn't need until I was a more advanced lifter. Now that I've started wearing it (And tracking my food intake) my weights "Magically" started going up. 10/10, put the damn belt on.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I don't think I have ever advised against the use of wrist wraps. But Stef is right -- most people use them because they look badass.
    I put wrist wraps on for my heaviest sets of benches and presses. They've helped avoid a lot of forearm tendinitis. Will probably use them for snatches and jerks too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast