starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Muscular Hypertrophy | Andy Baker

Default Muscular Hypertrophy | Andy Baker

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    The process of muscle growth is a confusing topic for many. Clients are confused, coaches are confused, the guys that research it in the lab are confused. Or at least it would seem that way. This is understandable insofar as the underlying processes that occur at the level of the muscle cell are indeed extremely complex and only partially understood.

Read article

I was wondering if he was going to clarify his thoughts in that thread as he has in previous ones I've read here, I see he instead opted to just write an article.

Fantastic article, Andy.

Give this man a PHD. He just said successfully explained in a few paragraphs what most exercise scientists unsuccessfully try to explain in an entire career.

Wonder if Zft will read it?

Andy, can you elaborate more on the idea of Mechanical Tension with regard to musculature and training? Is it similar to isometric/isotonic contraction? In my engineer’s mind, I’m likening it to pre/post-tensioned concrete, where instead of using rigid steel bars in a passive manner, we install flexible steel tendons to which an axial tensile force is applied at each end. This has the effect of actively resisting tensile stresses in the concrete cross-section and countering deflection, while allowing for thinner elements with longer spans. The tendon always has a tensile load on it, even if there’s no applied load on the concrete element.

With regard to training, how is this accomplished? I’m assuming there must be an applied load, e.g., a dumbbell in the hand when doing a curl, and an extended range of motion, e.g., the elbow joint fully extended with the shoulder joint held static, while performing that curl?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Kalin View Post
    Wonder if Zft will read it?
    Would it change anything if he did? Somehow I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Andy, can you elaborate more on the idea of Mechanical Tension with regard to musculature and training? Is it similar to isometric/isotonic contraction? In my engineer’s mind, I’m likening it to pre/post-tensioned concrete, where instead of using rigid steel bars in a passive manner, we install flexible steel tendons to which an axial tensile force is applied at each end. This has the effect of actively resisting tensile stresses in the concrete cross-section and countering deflection, while allowing for thinner elements with longer spans. The tendon always has a tensile load on it, even if there’s no applied load on the concrete element.

With regard to training, how is this accomplished? I’m assuming there must be an applied load, e.g., a dumbbell in the hand when doing a curl, and an extended range of motion, e.g., the elbow joint fully extended with the shoulder joint held static, while performing that curl?
    If you want the in-depth explanation about what exactly happens at the level of the sarcomere then just google "sliding filament theory" and read about how actin/myosin crossbridges are formed. The slow repetition allows for more crossbridges to form between the two and thus more force can be generated as the filaments slide past each other. (although I think what happens is that one of them stays more or less anchored and the other one kinda inches along the others length - honestly I don't remember which does which).

The simple gym explanation is that when the muscles are trying really really hard to SHORTEN against a load that is actively trying to EXTEND them.....then tension is created. But yes, it requires an external load to create the resistance we must overcome. Without the load you get something like jump training. High motor unit recruitment - low force production - low tension. Not sure if that is what you are asking

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    If you want the in-depth explanation about what exactly happens at the level of the sarcomere then just google "sliding filament theory" and read about how actin/myosin crossbridges are formed. The slow repetition allows for more crossbridges to form between the two and thus more force can be generated as the filaments slide past each other. (although I think what happens is that one of them stays more or less anchored and the other one kinda inches along the others length - honestly I don't remember which does which).

The simple gym explanation is that when the muscles are trying really really hard to SHORTEN against a load that is actively trying to EXTEND them.....then tension is created. But yes, it requires an external load to create the resistance we must overcome. Without the load you get something like jump training. High motor unit recruitment - low force production - low tension. Not sure if that is what you are asking
    Yes, it is; thank you. This explains it exactly.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    Would it change anything if he did? Somehow I doubt it.
    Me too.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast