starting strength gym

Thread: Strength For Postmenopausal Women | Starting Strength Gyms Podcast #17

Default Strength For Postmenopausal Women | Starting Strength Gyms Podcast #17

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

Ray Gillenwater and Inna Koppel talk about all the benefits postmenopausal women have from strength training, training pre/post pregnancy, and female culture evolution.

03:24 Benefits of strength training for postmenopausal women
    07:47 Senior strength Starting Strength Boise
    09:24 Kathleen Starting Strength Denver
    11:51 Allison Starting Strength Boise
    13:46 Female culture evolution and where things stand now
    18:07 Bulking
    21:29 Gaining muscle and losing fat
    30:20 Rehab and prehab for women with the barbell
    38:19 Benefits from training pre/post-pregnancy
    43:23 The fitness industry/why barbells
    54:00 How to contact Inna

I can only hope you try this subject again and do better. Just because I've stopped bleeding every month does not throw me into the same category as those in their last decades. And you threw in pre/post pregnancy? Why? No discussion of hormone replacement & building muscle/bone? No wonder you don't have a lot of female listeners. Come on SS!

Ray Gillenwater is offline Administrator, Starting Strength Gyms
    Starting Strength Coach

Quote Originally Posted by HailMary View Post
    I can only hope you try this subject again and do better.
    Hopefully you got your money's worth.

Just because I've stopped bleeding every month does not throw me into the same category as those in their last decades.
    It does, actually. There is a little more to it than "you stopped bleeding every month." You are in your last decades, as tough as that may be to swallow.

And you threw in pre/post pregnancy? Why?
    Because we were talking about women and women have babies.

No discussion of.... building muscle/bone?
    What do you think strength training does?

No wonder you don't have a lot of female listeners. Come on SS!
    I can't tell if you're trolling or not. We offer free educational products. Consume them if you'd like to, or ignore them. CONSTRUCTIVE feedback is welcomed.

Not trolling.

Starting Strength Coach

Not trolling.
    Okay, not trolling.

Why so agitated? Has coming in this hot ever served you well? Online or elsewhere?

If you have a question about your situation, ask away and we'll do our best to help.

Keep in mind:
    -I don't owe you anything, we don't owe you anything
    -Your expectations are all in your head - strangers on the internet are not aware of them
    -Getting stuff for free is great and try not to piss off the people that are providing you with said stuff
    -People tend to respond well to kindness, gratitude, and some even are okay with constructive criticism

Tone it down and we might be able to have a useful conversation.

I watched this video when it came out and didn't have any issues with its content.

I haven't caught the menopause yet, but when I turned 40 in December, my mother me:
    "[insert Cruella de Vil's voice here] Your last decade before menopause, mwahahaha!"

My mother has always been thin but completely sedentary, and she's had a very rough life. While other circumstances were also a factor, menopause was extremely difficult for her, and she's never been the same ever since. As much as I know that menopause is a part of life, I will confess to having worried about what it will do to me after seeing what it's been like for my mother.

So I have found this video helpful in alleviating some of my fears about menopause. What I am doing now is likely to make the process more manageable, and the outcome of this process less debilitating. That is my key takeaway from this video. Thank you for this because, as far as I am aware, there is no one out there recommending actual strength training with this in mind.

I wasn't interested in the pregnancy stuff either so, thanks to the time stamps, I just skipped to the next part. That said, I'll enthusiastically listen to anything about Rusty's 7 cats.

In the video it is mentioned that 97% of the SS audience is male. So when there is relatively general SS content about women, I think it is safe to assume that the target audience is not those of us who are already die-hard SS sycophants (to use a term that has recently become trendy on this forum). Did I get much from the segment about bulking? Nope, but every single woman I know in real life is convinced she's going to turn into Arnold in a split second if she dares looking at the weights I lift. My guess is that those women are the intended audience of that particular segment.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny&mighty View Post
    ...In the video it is mentioned that 97% of the SS audience is male. So when there is relatively general SS content about women, I think it is safe to assume that the target audience is not those of us who are already die-hard SS sycophants (to use a term that has recently become trendy on this forum). Did I get much from the segment about bulking? Nope, but every single woman I know in real life is convinced she's going to turn into Arnold in a split second if she dares looking at the weights I lift. My guess is that those women are the intended audience of that particular segment.
    Figuring out how to market real strength training to women is one of the biggest challenges in this industry.
    Inna has done a great job of figuring this out for particular segments that would really benefit from the results.
    Pregnancy must be a topic that is addressed for women and strength training.

The male demographic is not too much different in terms of general marketing approaches; overcoming preexisting misconceptions/concerns is the biggest barrier to getting them to do the program.

If we were to replace gym dogs with gym cats, 30% of SS trainees would be women, but only after 90% of SS trainees abandoned the platform.

Starting Strength Coach

Quote Originally Posted by tiny&mighty View Post
    I have found this video helpful in alleviating some of my fears about menopause. What I am doing now is likely to make the process more manageable, and the outcome of this process less debilitating. That is my key takeaway from this video. Thank you for this because, as far as I am aware, there is no one out there recommending actual strength training with this in mind.
    Glad it was helpful - thanks for the positive feedback.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    The male demographic is not too much different in terms of general marketing approaches; overcoming preexisting misconceptions/concerns is the biggest barrier to getting them to do the program.
    Males can get away with doing the program pretty poorly and still make good progress. The older you are and/or the more female you are, the less forgiving things become.

Females are actually more inclined to pay for coaching. Unfortunately this makes it a more lucrative market and the snakeoil messaging is even more preposterous.

Male fitness models have generally touched a barbell as you need to have at least some training success to land the modeling gigs.

There are plenty of female fitness models / group exercise instructors who have low body fat due to starving themselves and can get promotional gigs even though they aren't much stronger than their first day of training (if they've done any)