starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for weight gain tips

Default Looking for weight gain tips

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey guys, I need some advice with gaining weight.. I can't do a gallon of milk a day because I am lactose Intolerent. Is there something else I can drink a gallon of that is rich in protein? I've been steadily gaining 1lb a week but I know that's not enough. My stomach feels like it's at its limit, I keep getting nausea and indigestion. My stomach is a pussy.

How much milk can you drink without getting sick? Half a cup? Try it and see. Then add half a cup every 3 days. NMP.

What are you actually eating otherwise?

You're in Indonesia; you've got rice, don't you? The pork is real good in East Asia. Make Efferding's Monster Mash with lean ground pork.

You could try lactose-free milk if available or lactase pills. I've tried gallon-of-kefir a day, which is low in lactose and generally easier for most people to digest. You could probably do similar with yogurt or whatever other fermented milk products are available to you.

As far as gaining weight, my strategy was to--every few days--eat until I weighed more than I did a few days ago. So I'd force myself to set a weight PR every few days, meaning that my weight would be strictly monotonically increasing, which inevitably results in actual weight gain (instead of just food in your stomach).

Ray Gillenwater is offline Administrator, Starting Strength Gyms
    Starting Strength Coach

Follow Rip's advice about the milk.

Whether or not that works for you, you'll still need to focus on highly palatable, calorically dense food.

You know that if you want to lose weight, you need to cut out the highly processed stuff, oils, and salad dressings - and focus on low caloric density options. Which means if you want to gain weight, do the opposite.

Getting enough meat in SE Asia is tough. I used to go to food stalls and order an entire chicken. If you're eating Indonesian food, you'll want less gado-gado (vegetable platter) and more mee goreng (rice and meat) with quadruple meat. Throw extra sauce on there. Drink a soda if there's no other way to make it a 1500 calorie meal.

Track your calories in my fitness pal to get a baseline. Check to see if you're gaining 1-2lbs every few days and if you're not, add more calories.

Remember, caloric density and food volume are two different things. You can eat the same volume of food and have drastically different levels of calories, depending on what you eat.

Hit your protein goal. Get as much fat as you can while you're doing it (rib eyes instead of sirloins, whole milk instead of skim). And then shove as many carb calories into your mouth as possible. The more palatable, the better. You have a few months to eat like a child with no parents around. Go nuts - once you hit your protein goal.

A jar of peanut butter a day my man.

A few tips:

Consider Lactaid Milk if you can’t drink regular.

Try not to eat anything plain.

Eat a few more bites than you’d prefer, when you otherwise would have stopped eating.

Find a protein shake recipe that you enjoy and will make consistently.

Don’t oversleep and miss breakfast.

Fairlife is lactose free and has a bit more protein than regular milk. To re-ask satch's question, what's the rest of your diet? Fwiw, I'm 56 now and would switch my ability to eat with your inability to eat if I could.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How much milk can you drink without getting sick? Half a cup? Try it and see. Then add half a cup every 3 days. NMP.
    Hi Rip, I've tried doing this before. I would slowly increase my milk intake thinking that my body would adapt to it. Had constant diarrhea for 2-3 months before my stomach shut down. The last week before I went to the hospital for some IV's I was so sick to my stomach that I could barely keep a sip of water down. Lactose pills have helped some but I would still get some indigestion from eating anything that contains dairy, even if it's a tiny bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    What are you actually eating otherwise?

You're in Indonesia; you've got rice, don't you? The pork is real good in East Asia. Make Efferding's Monster Mash with lean ground pork.
    I've been eating 8 eggs, 300 grams of chicken breast, rice, fruits with oatmeal and granola with peanut butter; every. single. day. I know that I'm not hitting the optimal protein intake but I really am doing the best I can....am really getting sick of eating.

Quote Originally Posted by zft View Post
    You could try lactose-free milk if available or lactase pills. I've tried gallon-of-kefir a day, which is low in lactose and generally easier for most people to digest. You could probably do similar with yogurt or whatever other fermented milk products are available to you.

As far as gaining weight, my strategy was to--every few days--eat until I weighed more than I did a few days ago. So I'd force myself to set a weight PR every few days, meaning that my weight would be strictly monotonically increasing, which inevitably results in actual weight gain (instead of just food in your stomach).
    I keep data of my weight every morning after I go to the bathroom, it's always increasing but slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Gillenwater View Post
    Follow Rip's advice about the milk.

Whether or not that works for you, you'll still need to focus on highly palatable, calorically dense food.

You know that if you want to lose weight, you need to cut out the highly processed stuff, oils, and salad dressings - and focus on low caloric density options. Which means if you want to gain weight, do the opposite.

Getting enough meat in SE Asia is tough. I used to go to food stalls and order an entire chicken. If you're eating Indonesian food, you'll want less gado-gado (vegetable platter) and more mee goreng (rice and meat) with quadruple meat. Throw extra sauce on there. Drink a soda if there's no other way to make it a 1500 calorie meal.

Track your calories in my fitness pal to get a baseline. Check to see if you're gaining 1-2lbs every few days and if you're not, add more calories.

Remember, caloric density and food volume are two different things. You can eat the same volume of food and have drastically different levels of calories, depending on what you eat.

Hit your protein goal. Get as much fat as you can while you're doing it (rib eyes instead of sirloins, whole milk instead of skim). And then shove as many carb calories into your mouth as possible. The more palatable, the better. You have a few months to eat like a child with no parents around. Go nuts - once you hit your protein goal.
    Sounds like you've been to Indonesia!! Are you planning on doing a seminar here?!
    Currently this is what I'm eating: 8 eggs, 300 grams of chicken breast, rice, fruits with oatmeal and granola with peanut butter. On Sundays I gorge my stomach with fast foods to help with the calorie surplus. Right now I'm steadily gaining a 1lb weekly.. My stomach is giving out on me..I'm always constantly full...Is there such thing as taking a deload on eating? can I do that for a week?

starting strength coach development program
    Chicken breasts aren't doing you any favors. Can you eat red meat? It doesn't have to be expensive steaks, ground beef is perfect. That will add calories and fat and taste about eleven ba-zillion times better so you'll be inclined to eat more of it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast