starting strength gym

Thread: Adaptive Sports Powerlifting Press

Default Adaptive Sports Powerlifting Press

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I recently volunteered for a para-athletics event, assisting with the adaptive powerlifting. The sole contested lift was a modified bench press, called the powerlifting press, in which a specialized bench was used, with additional width below the torso area, and to which the athlete had the option of being secured with one or two straps below the waist. Otherwise, is was a pretty straightforward bench press, with judges commands for start and rack, with the lifter's option for a press command.

This was the first time the event was offered for these regional games, and there were only a few young athletes doing it, but it was a very interesting event to help with, and great to see the variety of people getting an opportunity to get interested in strength training. Looking it up, there are world-level competitions to watch online, with some lifters putting up pretty impressive numbers.

I'm curious if anyone else has experience with this sport, and if it's anything on the radar for the SS organization at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Donaldson View Post
    I recently volunteered for a para-athletics event, assisting with the adaptive powerlifting. The sole contested lift was a modified bench press, called the powerlifting press, in which a specialized bench was used, with additional width below the torso area, and to which the athlete had the option of being secured with one or two straps below the waist. Otherwise, is was a pretty straightforward bench press, with judges commands for start and rack, with the lifter's option for a press command.

This was the first time the event was offered for these regional games, and there were only a few young athletes doing it, but it was a very interesting event to help with, and great to see the variety of people getting an opportunity to get interested in strength training. Looking it up, there are world-level competitions to watch online, with some lifters putting up pretty impressive numbers.

I'm curious if anyone else has experience with this sport, and if it's anything on the radar for the SS organization at all.

I didn't know it was a thing until I saw this young man destroy almost 700lbs like it was a warmup Siamand Rahman - 310kg/683lbs Bench Press (Paralympics) - YouTube

He passed recently due to a heart attack but I think it's great for people with lower body disabilities to be able to bench press.

This dude could probably have the record with a little arch and leg drive, absolutely unreal.