starting strength gym

Thread: The Importance of Continuing to Train Through Very Stressful Life Events | Burnett

Default The Importance of Continuing to Train Through Very Stressful Life Events | Burnett

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    We train for physical strength. Our method has shown that being able to produce more force as we age is what grants us longevity in this life, and it is undoubtedly of critical importance. However, as I’ve gotten further into this process over the years, I am thoroughly convinced that the barbell provides the scaffolding for our mental and emotional health as well.

Read article

When i went through divorce, i continued to train.
    I literally cried through desdlift sets.
    But that mf went up.

Thank you for this very well written article

A solid article.

I haven't been through a divorce, but I've been through some extremely painful and stressful chapters of my life which I wouldn't want to experience again. And in addition to tragedies in life, there are also disruptions caused by illness.

Around Memorial Day, I fell ill - I got Covid-19. The condition itself only lasted two days, but it was then followed by bronchitis. Cough and phlegm... took me more than 1 week to stop coughing. And right when I thought I was ready to go back to the gym, I woke up with a terribly sore neck (probably bad angle/poor pillow positioning). I was barely able to walk without my neck muscles flaring.

The neck is nearly 100%.

During these few weeks of Covid-19, bronchitis, and a sore neck, I had to stay away from the gym. My appetite dropped dramatically and it was particularly frustrating because right before Memorial Day, I finally achieved a huge NLP milestone (a big deal for me at least): I squatted 225. In younger years, I was bigger, but I was paradoxically never strong enough to squat 225.

I'll probably have to drop the weight when my neck is finally 100% so I can resume lifting. I feel smaller, but my wife said I've lost no size. In any case, the author pointed out that it's more difficult to build new muscle mass than to preserve what's already there. I'm not huge by any means, but NLP since last fall did help me to build some size (and strength, obviously). I'm glad that most of that base hasn't been lost in these few weeks my health kept me from the gym. And now, the confidence I have from actually having squatted 225 will enable me to get back there - and to lift even heavier numbers.